Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, I'm brand new here. I'm hoping to get as much information as I can about my Smith & Wesson .38 special revolver. It is a 5 shot and the cylinder swings out. The serial number BDV8437 is marked underneath the butt of the hand grip. It has a 2" (or slightly less) barrel. I was told that it was a Police Special, but I don't know what that means and am not sure it that is true. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you, John.

·
Registered
10,616 Posts
Based on the serial number your gun likely shipped in 1989. However, without pictures or a better description, it would be hard to give you much more information. If you open the cylinder and look at the frame, the model number should be stamped there. Also, if the barrel or frame has any stampings that describe the gun (lightweight, airweight, etc.), that would also help.

·
Registered
13,160 Posts
Greetings, I'm brand new here. I'm hoping to get as much information as I can about my Smith & Wesson .38 special revolver. It is a 5 shot and the cylinder swings out. The serial number BDV8437 is marked underneath the butt of the hand grip. It has a 2" (or slightly less) barrel. I was told that it was a Police Special, but I don't know what that means and am not sure it that is true. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you, John.
Could that have been a "Chiefs Special" instead of police special that you were told the gun is?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Above are five pictures of my revolver. I hope this helps in making a better identification. Thank you! John

·
Registered
13,160 Posts
Model 36, known as the Chiefs Special I believe. The hammer has been bobbed. That's really sweet. One of the experts will be along to tell you more, and maybe correct me on the ID.

·
Registered
23,216 Posts
If you open the cylinder the model # should be stamped there, something like Mod. 36-1 or 37 if it's the lightweight version. There's probably also a meaningless assembly #.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Open cylinder

If you open the cylinder the model # should be stamped there, something like Mod. 36-1 or 37 if it's the lightweight version. There's probably also a meaningless assembly #.
The only marking upon opening the cylinder is 089 stamped on the mast that holds the cylinder. I googled Smith and Wesson model 36 and found several guns that look exactly like mine on youtube. Model 36 Chief's Special J frame revolver. The only difference is my hammer has been bobbed. Thanks for your help guys.

·
Premium Member
11,551 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

welcome01

Reactions: jemader

·
Registered
10,616 Posts
You're absolutely right! It says MOD. 36-2 although it is a bit more obscure than your photo.
Perfect, you have yourself a great gun! However, you'll find it addicting, it was for me as I started this illness with a Chief's Special about 10 years older than yours, welcome aboard! :D Blackcloud2

Reactions: jemader

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello from Texas! I also am looking for info about my gun. I have a .38 special model 10-7, tapered barrel, Square butt. I tried looking it up by serial#AAN3821, but I got a message that said: "The serial number that you have entered is not valid for this Consumer Advisory" This gun is a police turn-in. Does that affect my search results? I would like to find out info like when was the original issue date and possibly the LEA that used it. And, also the date of end of service. Is all that possible?

S&W10-7[1].jpg

·
Registered
23,216 Posts
I think AAN3821 left the factory in late 1982. No clue how you might find answers to the rest of your questions.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts