Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELLO I AM NEW TO THE FORUM AND JUST SIGNED ON TODAY. MY FATHER RECENTLY PASSED AWAY AND WE HAVE A S&W 357 MAGNUM LOOKS TO BE AROUND A 4" OR SO BARREL AND LOOKS NICKLE PLATED.
THERE ARE 2 PLACES ON THE FRAME AND CYLINDER OF THE GUN THAT HAVE IDENTICAL STAMPINGS
THEY ARE 2K7 449 MODEL 19-3 ALSO ON THE CYLINDER ALONG WITH TRHAT NUMBER IS THE LETTERING
RNC I HAVE A GOOD FRIEND WHOP WANTS THE GUN HE IS A COLLECTOR AND WANTS TO BUY IT AND I DONT WANT TO OVER PRICE THE GUN OR SELL THE FAMILY ESTSTE SHORT.
THANKS Revolver Metal Pipe Steel Cylinder
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory
Revolver Muffler Material property Auto part Titanium
Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

·
Registered
26,419 Posts
The 19-3 version was made between 1967 and 1977,
Pricing is difficult to say as every region has variations, and the current panic/pandemic seems to have skewed many prices higher than normal. That said, yours appears to be in fantastic shape; I'll let the more experienced folks here wager a price guestimate.

Reactions: jeepnut and Curt360

·
Super Moderator
13,726 Posts
The Model 19 was normally a blued revolver. This one is plated. The question is whether it was factory plated, or done after the fact.

If it's factory plated it could be considered more collectible. Carefully remove the grips, and look for a large capital "N" stamped near the bottom of the frame. If you find this, it's likely factory plated.

Just me, but I would not sell my father's handgun.

·
Registered
15,322 Posts
Very nice model 19. As to value, as was stated it can vary in different regions but $625 would be about the bottom line practically anywhere with a high end value of around $750. The pinned barrel and recessed cylinder make it more desirable than newer ones. A gun shop would offer you $300-400 probably. If you have the box, it could raise the bottom end price up to maybe $650, though it likely wouldnt impact the high end price of $750 much.

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
Greetings mate a Nickel 19-3 would be sweet, I like them Blue also. Look on the back side of the cylinder , when swung out to see if it has "N" stamped on it? I'm like many I couldn't sell that .Something to consider they are NOT going down in price, If you hang on to it and keep it clean, fire 158 Magnum in it now and again to keep the cobwebs out, it'll likely appreciate in value and maybe sentiment?

thewelshm

Reactions: jeepnut and Curt360

·
Registered
30,201 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear of your fathers passing. The revolver looks great. Of you decide to sell don't take anything less than $600. Fair price for a nice looking .357 magnum.

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
That looks like factory nickel to me, but I agree with the Welshman, look for an N on the back of the cylinder and/or the side of the grip frame, under the grips.
SCSW says $700 ANIB so with current prices probably between $600-$650

·
Premium Member
20,765 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! Please type your posts in lower case except for the normal, conventional capitalizations. It is hard to read in all upper case and is considered "shouting" as a convention on the forums. Please accept my deepest sympathy for the loss of your father and the agony of disposing of his assets. I have lost both my parents and totally understand what you are facing. I see no indication of a refinish on your Model 19. It also appears to be in very good to excellent condition. Do you have the original box, papers and tools? If so, those add at least $50 to the value of the package. The 4" and 6" guns are fairly common and don't bring as much as the snubbies and oddball longer barrels. Even so, I'd estimate it would bring around $800 at auction on gunbroker.com. There is a small premium for nickel over the blued guns. I recently sold a blue Model 19-3 2" to a friend for $650. That was at least a $100 discount over what I would have sold it for at a gun show or face-to-face sale. So, maybe that is a gauge for you in your decision on what to charge your friend for your Dad's .357 Magnum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HELLO I AM NEW TO THE FORUM AND JUST SIGNED ON TODAY. MY FATHER RECENTLY PASSED AWAY AND WE HAVE A S&W 357 MAGNUM LOOKS TO BE AROUND A 4" OR SO BARREL AND LOOKS NICKLE PLATED.
THERE ARE 2 PLACES ON THE FRAME AND CYLINDER OF THE GUN THAT HAVE IDENTICAL STAMPINGS
THEY ARE 2K7 449 MODEL 19-3 ALSO ON THE CYLINDER ALONG WITH TRHAT NUMBER IS THE LETTERING
RNC I HAVE A GOOD FRIEND WHOP WANTS THE GUN HE IS A COLLECTOR AND WANTS TO BUY IT AND I DONT WANT TO OVER PRICE THE GUN OR SELL THE FAMILY ESTSTE SHORT.
THANKS View attachment 489139 View attachment 489136 View attachment 489137 View attachment 489138
Hi and thanks to everyone who took the time to answer my questions. There is the lettering RNC stamped on the cylinder. I don’t know if that specifies nickel or what. I do know the gun is original from the factory and never altered or enhanced in any way
Does anyone have an idea as to when the gun was made I cant seem to find out
Thanks also for the condolences it is indeed difficult

1 - 13 of 13 Posts