Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen some semi that appear to have a small trigger over the larger one. What is the purpose of this?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have seen some semi that appear to have a small trigger over the larger one. What is the purpose of this?
It's a safety lever that is depressed as you pull the trigger. Unless it's depressed the trigger can't be pulled and the gun won't fire. The first major use of this safety was by Glock but similar designs have been used by several other makers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was wondering. Is it better to have a gun with it or without? Or is it your preference.

·
Premium Member
10,781 Posts
First, you should never "trust" safety mechanisms on firearms. Instead, always assume that a safety mechanism could potentially fail. They don't commonly fail, but you must always practice safe fundamentals of handling. Finger outside the trigger guard until you're on target and ready to fire, for example...

Most handguns have some form of safety. Some involve a manually manipulated control. Some have the safety features completely internal (like the drop safety inside a striker fired or hammer fired handgun). Some, like revolvers, rely solely on the need for a strongly resisting double action trigger pull.

Some firearms have multiple linked safety mechanisms. For example, guns like the M1911a1 that have a safety in the grip you must press as well as a manually operated thumb safety, or the Springfield XD series that combine a safety in the trigger with one in the grip.

For my concealed carry handguns, I prefer a firearm that doesn't require you to consciously operate a safety lever before aiming and firing. It's one less thing to be concerned about when you're under stress in a situation. I qualified for my instructor courses using Springfield XD series handguns.

For handguns that I normally use on the range, a manually manipulated safety lever is fine.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
You should try different kinds and find the one that's most comfortable for you.

I tend to use Glocks a lot because they are simple and mostly foolproof........that's important when you're under stress.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts