Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a very nice (model 17) 22 Masterpiece revolver And am having trouble getting new cartridges to fully enter the chambers of the cylinders. There are 0 signs of any misalignment between the extractor star and the chambers. The revolver shoots very well, when you can manage to get the darned thing loaded. Extraction is effortless.
I scrubbed the chambers and finished up with “Flitz” polishing cream. Made zero difference. What the heck? I tried Winchester, Remington and CCI ammo. Same problem! HELP!

·
Banned
1,473 Posts
Have a similar problem with my 1980 K22, & just as you say scrubbing the cylinders produces little improvement. My gun has had a truckload of ammo through it, so it's way beyond the "broken-in" stage. To extract, I have to push the rod against the wooden post of my shooting shed. Only explantion is tight chambers to begin with, which is of course one of the requirements for best accuracy out of any revolver.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Many posts on the blue forum regarding finish reaming the cylinder to help with loading and extraction issues.
Yep. Thanks. It seems like CCI Minimags are the only ones that go right in the chambers. I haven’t tried any standard velocity stuff yet. I really don’t want to have to modify A gun this old. Dates to around the early 1950s.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Not really modifying the gun. They are known to have tight chambers from the factory. You are just reaming the chambers to the SAAMI specs like the factory should have.

·
Banned
1,473 Posts
Not really modifying the gun. They are known to have tight chambers from the factory. You are just reaming the chambers to the SAAMI specs like the factory should have.
Don't have this problem with the Outdoorsman I also shoot a lot. So the tight chambers must be one of the factory's ideas to create a "Masterpiece." Wish I'd had the chambers on mine reamed 40 yrs ago, but I'm not going to worry about it now--as long as I can find some solid object to use to push the extractor rod against.

·
Registered
4,601 Posts
Many moons ago, I had the same hard extraction problem with my then new 17-4. The dealer I spent some $$ with sent it to Smith and they lightly polished the chambers. Issue resolved well enough and the gun is still super accurate. Good luck with your revolver.

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
I've had that problem with hard to load 22's but brushing the chambers always resolved the problem. I figured it was just a wax and carbon build up.

·
Banned
1,473 Posts
I've had that problem with hard to load 22's but brushing the chambers always resolved the problem. I figured it was just a wax and carbon build up.
When it gets to the point that I can't fully seat the rims, I run a brass brush wrapped in steel wool through the chambers with an electric drill. But after firing only about one box, the hard seating begins again.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Try Federal bulk pack 22. That seems to go in easier on my tight K22 then others. Also keep a nylon chamber brush handy at the range when it starts to foul.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Adirondacker, I use you system on my K-22 and my Dan Wesson 22s. I take it one step farther, I use some mothers mag polish on the brush & bronze wool.
Cliff

1 - 14 of 14 Posts