Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired a couple of Glocks. I've even spent some time on Glock Talk learning about them.

My question is: Is there any validity to the (oft cited) claim that the Glocks are the most reliable of all semi auto pistols?

I've owned about 10 semis in my life, but never a high end one, and I'm curious about how the Glocks rate in reliability to high end pistols. My Glocks have functioned flawlessly so far, but so has my $250 Kel-Tec 380...

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
AL all guns have their own following, their owners either swear by them, or at them. I take any thing I read about the greatness of any make with a grain of salt. I have a colt python thats a peace of crap. They are a lot of overrated guns. :)

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I'm reluctant to reply to your post. I have experience. But what is experience? You can have 30 years experience. But is that 3 months experience repeated 120 times? In other words you were never exposed to real issues. I do not consider myself an expert. I agree with c pierce. Some guns are better than others. I have owned glocks and one of them was a problem child. A lot of issues with guns are from the owners. A lot of people just do not know how to properly clean and lube a gun. Then you get into all the cleaning and lubrication products on the market. Some swear by one product others say it's crap. I learn all the time. Every now and then I pick up tips on products to use. I own some very high end 1911's and they run fine. Others had issues from the get go. Same with cheap guns some run great others do not. I imagine the cleaning, lube and ammo all play a part in this. Not just the gun. I keep all my guns super clean and lubed especially carry guns. If I have a malfunction with a gun. I damn sure do not have faith in it. And I try to figure out why it malfunctioned. If I can't or the gunsmith can't I get rid of it. That's a simple enough fix. Some guns I like my gunsmith friend turns his nose up at them. And one of them is a S&W auto. Not for the function it is for accuracy.
Good Luck
Jim

·
Registered
347 Posts
"I keep all my guns super clean and lubed..."

Best advice that can be had, right there.

A 90 year old Colt 1911 that I've had for over 30 years now has functioned flawlessly. The only failures experienced were ammunition related including a dud Remington factory load during a concealed carry qualification shoot. It's probably had at least 6000 rounds fired through it which isn't a lot compared to many shooters. A couple other 1911s around here also have exhibited perfect function but have had fewer rounds through them. The military 1911s have been fed both FMJ and SWC ammunition and like both. The 1911 can be reliable if it is left alone and not modified, customized, or altered. In this day and age I think manufacturers and shooters have frequently strayed from the original design and tolerances of the 1911 design.

A Colt Model 1908 .25 ACP I have has also given perfect function over the years with factory ammunition and hand loads but probably hasn't been fired more than 1000 times in total.

There are other semi auto pistols out there that can be just as reliable as the Glock which isn't as special as it's internet reputation suggests.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
In my opinion, and yours may vary greatly, the tennifer finish of the Glock is pretty amazing. Other than that, I would dare say my Sigma 9ve was as reliable, as is my Sig pro 2340. It all comes down to maintenance, and not having a complete P.O.S. to begin with :mrgreen:

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
You'll hear over and over..........

"I haven't cleaned it in (pick a time frame). It runs better dirty."
"It doesn't need any oil."

And so on and so forth.

I've been shooting Glocks since 1994. I've owned darn near all of them except for the longslides and babies. They've all gotten wrung out in IDPA and USPSA, as well as practice sessions.

I've never had a problem with any of them.

I keep 'em clean and oiled, just like any other firearm.

Case in point - a few years ago, I had a couple from Colorado come up and shoot IDPA with us. Real nice husband and wife. They both were shooting 19's. They also mentioned how they have never had to clean or oil their guns in quite some time and have shot a bunch of matches all over the place.

About halfway through the match, I'm RO'ing the Mrs's and her Glock freezes up. We strip it down and it's filfthy - and dry. A couple of drops of oil later and she's back up and running.

Ignorance runs rampant in the Glock crowd.

So, in my personal experience, yes - Glocks seem to be very, very reliable. I don't subscribe to the "Glock Perfection" mentality, but they will run.

Here's an interesting article you might enjoy:
http://www.theprepared.com/index.php?op ... view&id=90

·
Registered
38 Posts
The Glock 17 is widely known as one of the most reliable pistols of all time in various operating conditions.

The 10mm and .45 cal glocks to a lesser degree and the .40 glocks the worst.

The Beretta 92 fs, Sig p226 in 9mm are also proven reliable.

If you want a .40 go SIG p-229 (german) or HK.

The 1911 .45 production gun requires a lot of care to be as reliable .

·
Registered
28 Posts
There are very few real “experts” floating around, at least in comparison to the numbers on the gun boards :shock: . I’m just a student who’s had the professional opportunity to serve in positions that permitted development of some experience and it seems like that is what you are asking for. Besides, like many here, I’m a first class gun nut and make no bones about it :mrgreen: .

Some very valid points made here already, here’s my 2345ll …

All guns require proper maintenance, better designs just allow you to get away with a bit less scrubbing and buffing...if unusual circumstances require. Guns are first and foremost tools, treat your tools well and they will perform as designed. Just because you've got the finest engineered vehicle out there, doesn't mean you don't bother to change the oil periodically, as the manufacturer suggests. Just because you've got the hardest, sharpest cutter in your lathe doesn't mean you don't bother with cutting oil or run it at a speed it wasn't intended to work at. Pretty simple really but unfortunately it is all too true that an awful lot of folks, some of whom should know better, just don't get it :shock: ...

Rant off...

As to the Glock...
Nothing, in my experience, is perfect...well except for my performance with the ladies ;) lsk705 But the Glock design, especially in its original 9mmP chambering, has proven over and over that it works, even with unimaginable abuse, and more so, again in my experience, than competing designs. Are there anomalies, sure, Glock is not immune to the occasional stinker, but the stinkers are the ones that get press, all out of proportion their actual numbers .That is especially true on gun boards, where gossip becomes fact. At the same time, unfortunately, some Glock owners are their own worst enemy as well. They'll put their Glock thru abuse instead of use, and claim to everyone they meet that Glocks are such "Perfection" that they don't need to maintain them, and then be shocked and bitter, or lie about it to save face, when the gun fails to live up to their expectations.

Before anyone gets their panties in a wad, remember, the question was about the reliability of Glocks...as in a general assessment of the breed, not the horror stories, first hand or gossip, of an individual example. There are, unfortunately, individual horror stories of every mechanical thing made by man, don't feel special if you've experienced one.

Spare me the Kool Aide comments, unless you've run or been intimately involved in the running of hundreds upon hundreds of thousands of rounds thru an armory full of Glocks you are professionally responsible for...and have similar experience with the competing designs to make a valid comparison. Others with similar experience are certainly entitled to throw all the rocks they wish if based upon said experience they disagree. Not trying to stifle anyone else’s comments either, this is, after all a forum. Just attempting to "cut off at the pass" some of the ignorant personal comments that so frequently destroy a perfectly good thread.

BTW, that is not to say I don't understand the disappointment of an individual whose exposure to a design consists of their personal blaster going from hero to zero in a heartbeat, regardless of whether it was a design/manufacturing flaw, ammunition glitch or as is too frequently the case, nothing but operator error.

Don't get me wrong, I've got my own prejudices like the next guy, but having experienced all the others over more years than I'd like to admit, I've developed a respect for the Glocks. So much so, that is what I've chosen as my every day carry gun. And I'm now free to carry anything I want...

Apologies for the arrogant way that might sound to some, it certainly is not meant to be. It is not a dare to start an argument and my intention in not to insult anyone. It's just an attempt to blunt, in advance, the usual flood of Kool Aide comments I've noticed folks get bombarded with upon posting anything approaching a positive report of a particular design when that design is not the forum darling. It is especially true of Glocks...whether its grip angle, mechanical safety, plastic frame, trigger, whatever...some folks just love to hate ‘em.

One more time, just so there is no misunderstanding, modern competing designs especially those from the big names like Beretta, Sig and H&K are extremely reliable, especially more now than in the past. I've been issued/shot/owned/carried all of 'em and feel well protected when doing so. Glocks, in my experience, just seem to have the edge in real world, high round count reliability. They are not perfect, nothing made by man is.

Since this thread was specific as to reliability, as it applies to Glock "Perfection", I'll leave it at that...

Shooting/handling/carrying yada, yada, yada comparisons are for another post, this one is too long as it is :mrgreen:...

Waaay too long :oops: :roll: ...

Flame away if you must nvonjvila ...

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
npihanp ...
but they're still ugly :mrgreen: hpzl;n; thepuke :mrgreen: :eek: :lol: ryperp okfvnail

I learned on the G19 and G20, and my carry at work is the G21. I don't mind them one bit.

·
Registered
28 Posts
That's good of you Chris, thanks...

But ugly?...

Oops, notice only one "t" above, as in a transitional phrase, not "tt" as in...well you know what I mean ;)

Uhmmm, let's see, how do I get around that?

Ok, maybe...but what's that saying about beauty and the eye of the beholder?

I don't dream of large women, while I know other guys who can't get enough :mrgreen:

If a gun works all the time, I'm able to hit what I need to hit...quickly, it hits hard enough and if I can comfortably conceal it someplace...it is a thing of beauty to me :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Be safe out there Brother...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts