Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
VS one of the 1/2 dozen other commonly available .308 rifles. I need to do some more research as to barrel length (gotta have at least 18", preferably 20) but really give me a few good reasons for the SW, please.

·
Registered
26 Posts
PROs: Good barrel with the right profile for hunting. One of the lightest of the 308 ARs. Ambidextrous controls, Available with Magpul furniture. Uses Magpull 20 and 25 round magazines. Completely reliable with commercial pressure ammo

CONs: Typical standard AR trigger. Muzzle device and gas block are too large and heavy. Can be unreliable with NATO spec ammo (NATO spec ammo is loaded to lower pressure than commercial). Handguards should be upgraded to a free float tube. S&W hasn't been providing much in the way of spare parts

OTHER: While recoil isn't harsh, a better recoil pad helps. If you get one with the M4 buttstock, recoil will become uncomfortable after a few shots. Some guys have been getting poor accuracy but so far, mine shoots very well

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree with MistWolf except for the recoil. I really never noticed it.

The trigger is pretty bad but I was able to achieve sub moa groups at one hundred yards with the OE trigger. I switched to a Gisselle and the groups improved quite a bit.

The pic below is of my two best groups. Left is a 3 shot group, right is a 5 shot group. Both are from 100 yards using a Caldwell bench rest.

Using Nosler 165 grain BT ammo, I have taken 4 deer this year and only one has moved from its tracks. She didn't go far.

·
Administrator
8,045 Posts
I guess I must have had luck on my side when I bought mine. The trigger isn't to Gisselle standards but it's okay and the accuracy is all I expected it to be. No complaints at all.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I agree with MistWolf except for the recoil. I really never noticed it
The recoil was only bad with the M4 style stock with it's thin edged butt plate.

Nice groups! I took my Big Smith out a weekend or so back but was only able to get one good group of three before the fog rolled in and covered the range. It measured about 7/8 of an inch at 100 yards. Ammo was the Hornaday 150 grain SST Superformance

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Those groups rival my tuned bolt gun! Amazing that a semi-auto can do that. I'm used to the FAL and HK-91, both average about two inches which until recently thought was pretty good for a mag fed .308

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was hoping for 1" - 1.5" groups when I bought the rifle... I was more than surprised when I got those groupings.

It has replaced my Savage varmint rifle as the designated Tannerite detonator.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Depends on how you like to shoot. If you bench then the 10 is probably better than a FAL or a PTR/HK91. I despise bunch shooting. I get bored after the first 2 shots and just want to go home. So for me the difference between sub moa and 2 moa are meaningless. Give me a good FAL any day over a 10.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a new m&p 10 ln November the camo hunting model. Piece of junk. Its been back to factory 2 times . It jams constantly. S&W says it doesn't jam for them. They won't replace it. No more S&W guns for me.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I bought a new m&p 10 ln November the camo hunting model. Piece of junk. Its been back to factory 2 times . It jams constantly. S&W says it doesn't jam for them. They won't replace it. No more S&W guns for me.
Switch to MagPul mags and try commercial pressure ammo (not milsurp) or reloads loaded to commercial pressure until the rifle is broken in and the gas system has a chance to seal itself. You didn't say what kind of malfunction you're having, but I'll bet it's short stroking. The M&P-10 is tuned to run on commercial pressure ammo

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think you owe it to yourself to check out the DPMS G2's. I haven't shot the M&P 10, but I held both and had a pretty strong preference for the G2. I got the hunter model (20") and am extremely pleased.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts