Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are more factors that go into choosing a "best" round than how fast it goes. Weight and design are just as important in determining how well the bullet will transfer its energy to the target, and simple speed does not always translate into adequate penetration. My favored carry guns are usually 9mms, and for those with 4" or longer bbls. I prefer a 147 gr. slug of one sort or another, and for those under 4" I tend towards the 124s because the shorter bbls don't always develop enough velocity to let the lighter slug expand well. More important than anything else is how well the round shoots out of a particular gun. Assuming function, accuracy is my first criteria with power being somewhere down the line behind ease of shooting and speed of follow-up shots.

A general Google search for "bullet effectiveness" will give you more reading material than you know what to do with. ;)

David

·
Registered
19,891 Posts
I shoot .38spl/.357mag just about exclusively for my serious revolvers. (I do shoot my M-17 .22 more than anything.....but that's just for fun. ;) ) I generally use 125 gr. +P in most of my .38s ....2" & 4", most of the time. However, for serious purposes, I switch to 158gr. +P .38 spl., the old FBI load. For greater penetration, you just can't beat this load. The same principles apply to any caliber. Bob

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I use the same 124gr Hydra Shok and although I have not had to use it (well, at least on anything 2 legged), I'm confident that it'll take care of what needs taken care of. ;)

·
Registered
90 Posts
When I carried 9mm on duty we used Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P HP. Supposedly our training dept. researched alot of rounds and found this bullet to be very effective. in 40 S&W it was the Speer Gold Dot 165gr HP.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The Federal 124 Hydrashok +P or the Speer 124 GDHP +P feed my 6906 and P6 CCW weapons.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts