Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hadn't dropped in the LGS lately but did today. They had quite a few used S&W revolvers. First off I noticed this 2.5 inch model 66. It is not P&R, but it is $995
2019-12-30_15-15-39_695.jpg
Actually went in because my cousin is looking for a reliable used semi auto 22, so that was my main quest before getting groceries. Spotted a decent looking and handling M&P Compact 22 for $279 I may suggest he go look at. Then I had to check out this cool PPK. I know next to nothing about these but I really liked the grips kind of funky, thicker in the front except at the finger grooves they felt great in my hand and the gun was much heavier than I expected. Don't know if $559 is a good price or not, but that's what it was.
2019-12-30_15-18-56_606.jpg
Now, in to the mystery gun. As I was leaving I spotted another S&W in the corner of the case. The clerk was helping someone else ... I had to get going, and the tag is covered except for price. My first thought was that it might be an early 627. Top strap appeared to be micro-checkered like a 27, but maybe not quite like a 27, don't have one, not sure. Barrel is pinned. Both front and rear sights appear non-standard to me. Barrel is ported. Looked more like stainless than nickel to me. Didn't look like a 44 to me, more like 357. Checked book when I got home and saw 627 wasn't made until 89, but P&R was eliminated in about 1980, and then realized this was not a 627.
What is this revolver?
2019-12-30_15-16-02_979.jpg

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
Just looking at barrel wonder if it could be a 686 customized for competition. Have seen at least 4 that were customized and if can look at it and the barrel devoid of any markings. So figure if could do with 686 then almost any model could be done. Do agree though that is more 357 than 44 Mag. Would be interesting to actually look it over.

·
Registered
12,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No guesses? The scoped revolver to the right is a 44 I believe. Look at the charge holes size vs the one I am asking about. Looks a lot like that gun too as far as finish, so still don't think it's nickel, but my wife says I was wrong once before.

·
Registered
12,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just looking at barrel wonder if it could be a 686 customized for competition. Have seen at least 4 that were customized and if can look at it and the barrel devoid of any markings. So figure if could do with 686 then almost any model could be done. Do agree though that is more 357 than 44 Mag. Would be interesting to actually look it over.
Barrel is tapered where it meets frame, not heavy profile like a 686 and does say S&W on it. Shop is 25 miles away. I am not really in to long barreled revolvers, but this one has my interest, especially at the price it's marked, since they will probably sell for less

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
Interesting. May have to break down and get it to know for sure. Found this picture of a 66-1 I had and does look like my 27-2 only is nickel. Sight and all look like it and have attached pic of top etching. Looks like front sight is missing.
thumbnail.jpg
thumbnail1.jpg
thumbnail2.jpg

·
Registered
12,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Looks like you can see the pin for the front sight, but yes, the blade part appears to be missing. does the rear sight look right to you? A little bit brighter version of the photo
97BF8D24-20D3-43BD-B765-F591846C0399.jpeg

·
Registered
12,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When they first changed the thread direction on S&W revolver ejectors didnt they mill a little smooth recessed area right at the end of the rod? It looks like this gun might have that, especially when compared to where rod and end meet on the one to the right. How long was that done?

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Looks like a 66 or a 66-1 to me. Shame it's magna- ported. Probably had the hell shot out of it. Beware.
Cliff

·
Super Moderator
19,374 Posts
Is the trigger and hammer plated too? It looks that way to me. The stocks are gorgeous, and hold a pretty fair value for those alone.
My guess is a model 29 that's been aftermarket plated. There is a slight chance it's a model 57, but I don't think it is. The barrel wall is much thinner than I'm seeing on a model 19 or 66. It is set up with those sights as a target pistol. I can imagine it'll be a tackdriver.

You really need to go check it out, hopefully take it home with you, and then report to us on the great find.

Regards,
Gregory

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Looking at the brighter photo on my desktop computer I don't see any checkering on the top strap. Gregory might just be on to something with the Model 57 or 29 ID.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Hadn't dropped in the LGS lately but did today. They had quite a few used S&W revolvers. First off I noticed this 2.5 inch model 66. It is not P&R, but it is $995
View attachment 431529
Actually went in because my cousin is looking for a reliable used semi auto 22, so that was my main quest before getting groceries. Spotted a decent looking and handling M&P Compact 22 for $279 I may suggest he go look at. Then I had to check out this cool PPK. I know next to nothing about these but I really liked the grips kind of funky, thicker in the front except at the finger grooves they felt great in my hand and the gun was much heavier than I expected. Don't know if $559 is a good price or not, but that's what it was.
View attachment 431531
Now, in to the mystery gun. As I was leaving I spotted another S&W in the corner of the case. The clerk was helping someone else ... I had to get going, and the tag is covered except for price. My first thought was that it might be an early 627. Top strap appeared to be micro-checkered like a 27, but maybe not quite like a 27, don't have one, not sure. Barrel is pinned. Both front and rear sights appear non-standard to me. Barrel is ported. Looked more like stainless than nickel to me. Didn't look like a 44 to me, more like 357. Checked book when I got home and saw 627 wasn't made until 89, but P&R was eliminated in about 1980, and then realized this was not a 627.
What is this revolver?
View attachment 431533
pros for being a model 66 no dash:
Stainless Steel rear sight leaf.
Looks to be high polished SS. look at cylinder flutes and inside trigger guard not polished.
Hammer and trigger look to be SS.
Cons:
I haven't seen a 66 no dash or 66-1 with 8 3/8" barrel

Wouldn't be 686 because of pinned barrel
there is my 2 cent input

·
Registered
12,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I found out what it is and my initial thought was correct. It is a model 27. The trigger and hammer look almost nickel plated but there is some coloring there like case hardened. The side plate seam looks nice and tight and the lettering looks pretty sharp from quick look at the pictures.
" I'll bet it's a nickel Model 27 and I'll bet there's a 1 in front of that 6 on the price tag." says series guy, and I'll bet there isn't. Here is the ad from the shop.
https://ammoandarmsstore.com/40009/

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Wow, that's cheap! Even with the porting, I'd expect it to be closer to $1k.

Reactions: gearchecker

·
Registered
12,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow is that a steal. You or Curt better grab that one.
I 100% knew you would say that! Will have to take a live look at it. What do you think as far as the originality? Front sight and ramp don't look original. It looks a lot like a newer ramp. Should there be an N stamped on the cylinder face for original nickel. The extractor is blued as it should be. I think the hammer & trigger used to be gold washed/plated and the area behind the knurled section on ejector is turned down smaller like the did to designate the change to L hand threads. I don't know how long they continued that

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Other than the polish or whatever on the hammer and trigger it looks pretty right to me. Not all guns were stamped with an N for a nickel finish. I would want to look under the grips for an N or possibly an RN stamp. The gun isn't perfect but at that price I think a little work on the grips and a replacement hammer and trigger wouldn't be too much to invest. I probably know a guy that can supply the hammer and trigger : )

·
Registered
12,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Other than the polish or whatever on the hammer and trigger it looks pretty right to me. Not all guns were stamped with an N for a nickel finish. I would want to look under the grips for an N or possibly an RN stamp. The gun isn't perfect but at that price I think a little work on the grips and a replacement hammer and trigger wouldn't be too much to invest. I probably know a guy that can supply the hammer and trigger : )
Working on that first class enabler merit badge, aren't you?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts