Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although he was initially excited with it; a red dot planted on a Glock Model 34, he never really found the time to work with it on a range, too busy on the job and now recovering from a complete knee reconstruction, it’s been sitting idle. That was until yesterday when his squad mate and many years' partner (and kid from the neighborhood who I coached in basketball!) decided he wanted it and had to have it! I’d actually forgotten about the gun over the many months and it seems I put up the front money, but too many things in life have happened since, until my son reminded me yesterday he’d be paying be back in payments as he received them from his buddy. Well, being a dad, one that actually had forgotten the whole financial exchange way back when, I told him to just keep the payments and stay on the knee exercises in between ‘Physical Therapy’ sessions, something I’m currently having to drive him to.

Forum member Rodan has been interested in this move for officers, i.e. Red Dot sights for police. I put him in touch with the Phoenix PD Sergeant that sold the gun to my son, he’s an advocate for them too. I firmly believe this is the wave of the future, but it’s going to take a ‘sea change’ from the current concept in order to move in this direction. At this point, my son who is simply trying to get a highly valued appendage working again, he’s back to ‘iron sights’ for the nearest of his future shooting needs! :)

·
Super Moderator
19,368 Posts
You need to have Brandon buy one of those laser targeting practice gadgets. The kind he can pull the pistol trigger on, and the laser lights up the target for scoring. He could certainly practice with it while he's recovering. It'll help keep him up to snuff, and not get out of his skill set.

https://www.itargetpro.com/

https://www.laserhit.com/

·
Registered
12,664 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Well that's interesting timing... I spent today on the range teaching our RDS transition course. :D

Thanks again for the contact, the info Phoenix PD provided was very helpful in developing our lesson plan and training drills. I think I still owe you a patch... I got distracted by being out for almost 4 months for my own knee injury... Hope your son's recovery is going well!

RDS on handguns is definitely the future of combat handguns. Today we had a range of students from some of our weaker shooters to several of our SWAT team members, and all demonstrated improvements in accuracy and speed compared to their performance shooting irons. As the technology improves, and the training doctrine gets dialed in, it will only get better.

There are some challenges to making the transition, especially for us more 'seasoned' folks with decades of iron sight shooting behind us. You have to unlearn some things, and all those muscle memories and unconscious habits have to be redirected.

·
Registered
19,777 Posts
I wonder .......How many officers will forget to turn off the Red Dot, after work????? Dead batteries in the morning, will cost them a fortune!!!!! happyroller Bob

·
Registered
203 Posts
I wonder .......How many officers will forget to turn off the Red Dot, after work????? Dead batteries in the morning, will cost them a fortune!!!!! happyroller Bob
In the optics that are appropriate for duty use the batteries are good for over a year of 'on' time. You simply plan replacement annually, and never have a failure. Of course, things happen, but you check it every day before it goes in the holster. Most of the optics also have a 'flicker' or 'blink' in the reticle that signifies a low battery, so you do get some warning.

The Aimpoint on my rifle literally never gets turned off. The Holosun on my pistol only gets turned off on my weekends.

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
The handgun Red-Dot sights are simply over priced and over hyped at this point. Yes, I see the application for military and law enforcement, not so much for citizen concealed carriers. The gamesmanships competitive shooters for the games they play also. I'm simply not going change over from the TruGlo Tritium Pro Night Sights I employ for concealed carry/self defensive handguns which if utilized the distances are most likely to be under 10Yds and or less.

I practice avoidance of stupid people, places and things like a religion along with, when the moon comes up the sun goes down you will no see me out and about. One can place themselves in bad situations, I'm not one to do that if at all possible.

Yes I was in shooting situations that I survied in the Marine Corps and that was along-long time in the past and if at all possible I intend to keep it that way.:)

·
Registered
19,777 Posts
Dennis, I never put much faith in better sights on my defense guns. I don't use 'em at close range, anyway. I just point and shoot. The more you practice.....the better you become. I better start practicing again!!!! :roll:nvpAN

You have to consider that........at our older age, bedtime comes after the News at 8 PM. That will keep you out of trouble!!!! ;) Bob

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
I have a Vortex SPARC on my AR-15 flat top.
It makes it easy for my old eyes to hit what I'm aiming at and I love it.

I would never consider any red-dot optic for my CCW pistols.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts