Smith And Wesson Forums banner

Seems like so many of my guns...

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  lashlaruhe 
#1 ·
Have stories behind them.

Around 1998 I was perusing Auction Arms and I see this Norinco 1911. Looked like new and I bagged it for $300. I heard good things about these but Daddy Bush (in a move that pissed off the NRA and gun owners everywhere) issued an executive order banning importation of Chinese military arms so this model went bye-bye from the market.

Told a buddy about the purchase and he made a face and hemmed and hawed like he wanted the gun. So I offered it to him at what I paid for it.

At some point I mentioned that I liked the lanyard ring on the bottom of the mainspring housing as the Norinco featured. He said he didn't care for it. So we swapped. I liked this so much (I like weird things sometimes) that I purchased several more of these from Numrich and installed then some of my other 1911s.

Around 2001 I see a Universal Carbine in a pawn shop. Looked well worn like it had been shot a lot (good sign on these as many never worked right). Tagged at $250 I lost interest. Guy really wanted to sell it. So I said make me an offer I can't refuse. He said $165 out the door.

OK, I couldn't refuse.

That little rifle never failed me. Worked 100% all the time. Used GI magazines without complaint as well as the original 10 round box that came with it. Then a couple months ago I started yearning for a genuine GI M1 Carbine. So I dashed off an order to the CMP.

And waited.

And waited.

Growing weary of waiting I picked up the same model I had on order with the CMP from a Gunbroker auction. Now I had one in hand and another on the way.

Someday...

So the Universal became superfluous. (Wow, I spelled that correctly on the first try.) Mentioned to my buddy (same one) that I was looking to sell the little Carbine and he offered me the Norinco in trade. Um... OK. I figured the Carbine would sell for $400-$450 and I thought the Chinese made 1911 would fetch about the same, maybe $50 more. Might also be easier to sell. So I decided it was a good deal and the Carbine went to a new home and got the Norinco... back. Recall that I owned it first about 11 years ago and had passed it on to my friend.

It came back to me in the same condition as when it left. I don't think he ever fired the damn thing. Still looked like new.

But now I am having trouble selling it. Started thinking it might be nice to have a strictly GI 1911 pistol. As I started balking at the notion of selling it I began working on it. The original rubber grips had to go. I absolutely DETEST rubber grips. All I had on hand were original Colt wood and a pair of fake pearl stocks I picked up about 10 years ago for $10 at a show. Didn't seem right to have Colt emblems on a Chinese gun so I went with the fake pearls. For imitation they looked pretty good but I never had a gun needing stocks... until now. A tad pimpish but i like the look. So does my wife. Not sure what that says about her. Then there was the matter of the swapped mainspring housing.

Now I wanted the lanyard ring back on this gun. So I dug out the last of the ring equipped housings hiding in the "Box of Parts" and swapped in on. I may eventually sell it (along with a couple others I am steeling myself to unload) but for now I will just play with it. If you figure the price I paid for the Carbine and the cost of the fake pearl stocks I have $175 invested in this pistol.

At that price it can afford to hang around for a while.

See less See more
#3 ·
SaxonPig said:
A tad pimpish but i like the look. So does my wife. Not sure what that says about her. Then there was the matter of the swapped mainspring housing.
Ivory or Pearl on a classic black 1911 or Revolver are never pimpish... ;)

#4 ·
A nice set of stocks does more to dress up a plain 1911 than almost anything you can do for it.

BTW if you decide to sell that Norinco, I'd like a chance at it. ;)

#5 ·
Looking mighty good. kfjdrfirii Let us know how it performs and whether it would qualify as a reliable carry piece. ihjf

#6 ·
Just for info, it wasn't Bush that banned Norinco's, it was Mr. Slick Willie Klintoon. He did it to suck up to Sarah Brady during the 1992-94 period. I got one at about 1993 and was just under the wire. They are still available new in Canada, but to evil for the USA to import.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.