Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well....Elmer Keith didn't carry concealed, either. :roll: (To the best of my knowledge.) So, unless you need a .44 Mag. w/ 4" barrel, for big bear protection, you don't need the size and weight of the N frame. I carry my M-66 2.5" in a Bianchi Shadow 3 slot pancake holster w/ thumb break. It can be worn strongside or crossdraw, and is very secure. The best, and cheapest place to get holsters is : Gunner's Alley ;)

I only carry a M-36 Jframe IWB. Larger guns are too uncomfortable for me, so I carry them OWB only. There's enough of me .....inside the waist band!!!! :roll: :lol: Bob
I have just registered and I am looking for some help regarding Elmer Keith. I am the great grandson of Albert and Mary Ellinger. Albert was very close to Elmer and mentioned often in his books. I inherited a gun belt and holster that was owned by Elmer Keith and gifted by him to Albert and has E.M. Keith engraved on the belt. I have a couple of Elmers books like “Rifles for Large Game “ with a message and signed by Elmer. I have lots of pictures of Elmer taped to the back cover. I am trying to find someone that knew my great grandfather and grandma Ellinger. I hope that you might direct me in the proper direction? Sincerely Eric

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Elmer Keith killed all kinds of Game with a hardcast 250 loaded to 1250fps(1200fps in his 4" 29). With a good bullet you don't need to use a frame-stretching near-max load. In my more salad-days I used to do that with my SBH, 23.5grains of Lilgun to be exact. Did 1500fps out of that 10.5" Barrel. Now, I've calmed it down alot and it still poleaxes whatever I hit with it.

If you have 2400, 18.5-19 grains will give you all you need with a 250.
I am the great grandson of Albert Ellinger and I have most of Elmer Keith’s Rounds that were tested by Albert. Elmer was very fond of the .505 Gibbs round. The Jeffrey 600 was a cannon and the other one was the Nitro 606 I believe.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am looking for anyone that can help me with my family history. I am the great grandson of Albert and Mary Ellinger who were close friends with Elmer and mentioned often in his books. I have a collection of just about every large game rifle cartridge Elmer fired. I was present when my dad tested the.505 Gibbs rounds. I have lots of Elmers history items even a gun belt and holster with E.M. Keith engraved in it that he gifted to Albert. Would love any help with the history.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts