Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My great-grandfather was a sheriff for 12 years and before that he was one of the original highway patrol officers in South Carolina. He passed away 8 years ago and handed all his firearms to my grandfather. I few months ago my grandfather decided to give me one of my great-grandfather's guns. He gave me a S&W Model 36. The serial number is J26XXX which I found on a few websites to be made in either 1969 or 1970. Something I have not figured out is that the gun is gold plated. My grandfather did not know much about the gun besides it was his father's. Has anyone seen a gold plated Model 36? It is not one of the fancy engraved ones but just a normal Model 36 but instead of blue or nickel it is gold. Any information would be helpful. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
13,111 Posts
Hello AugustSon and welcome to the forum.

I concur with your estimated ship date year of 1969-70.

Unfortunately, I'm unable to help you much about the gold plating. Personally, the only gold plated firearms that I've encountered were fancy engraved models.

Hopefully, a forum member will come along that may have some insight about your plating question.

Best Regards,

Geezer

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have a nickel plated one which I inherited from my Grandfather. Its a beautiful thing. I've never seen a gold one though. Post a picture!

·
Premium Member
18,752 Posts
I have a feeling that it is a gold wash, not gold plated. And, it was likely done aftermarket, not direct from S&W. But, never say never, with S&W, they say...

(whoaretheyandaretheyafterme?)

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Premium Member
18,752 Posts
Well, what do you know:

• In 2002 S& W reintroduced the Model 36 with gold features calling it the “Model 36 Gold”; the gold color was actually titanium titride on the hammer, thumbpiece, extractor rod and trigger. Has the internal key lock system. An S& W exclusive for TALO Distributing, Product code 161491.

Supica, Jim; Nahas, Richard (2006-12-20). Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson 3rd (Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson) (p. 195). F+W Media, Inc.. Kindle Edition.

·
Premium Member
13,111 Posts
Well it doesn't appear to be one of the "Talo's" that Guy references above...........

The trigger and hammer both are plated (or gold washed) too. I don't how to tell you the difference between gold plated and gold washed. Maybe Guy will jump in here and tell us more.

BTW, when you ask how to tell if it's "gold or gold plated"...............chuckle............I certainly don't think you mean solid gold...............aside from being way too soft a metal.............it'd be worth it's weight in................"GOLD"........LOL

I'm almost certain that it's not a factory finish.............but I leaned long ago that with older S&W's, almost anything is possible.

Regards,

Geezer

·
Premium Member
18,752 Posts
My guess would be that it is finished in titanium titride. Maybe the guys in the department did it for your Great Grandfather when he retired.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No I figured you knew what I meant. Back when my great grandpa was Sheriff he would just take criminals guns when they were arrested. Definitely different times. It could be one of those guns or a gift I don't know and prob will never know. I just wanted to know if anyone has seen something similar.

·
Premium Member
18,752 Posts
This is the first gun I have seen refinished like that. But, I haven't been collecting that long.

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
AugustSon,

Welcome!

Regarding the origins of Great-Grand Pappy's "goldish" Chief's Special: I vote for "confiscation" -- acquired, post buffaloing a nefarious miscreant father-raper, from said grifter's (probably stolen) threadbare gaberdine coat-pocket...

(makesabetterstory)Mike

·
Premium Member
18,752 Posts
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass! What is the SN of the gun?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts