Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all im having a hard time deciding between this 9mm and a Ruger security 9. I put the sdve in layaway at my local shop but what I originally was looking for was a security 9. There both around the same price but can't decide between the 2

·
Premium Member
2,002 Posts
I don't anything about the Ruger other than sooch00 and Hickok45 You Tube videos. I owned a SD9VE and the only gripe was narrow takedown plate , a wide body plate from NDZ made it a lot easier to field strip.

·
Super Moderator
13,726 Posts
Without question the Ruger is a much better handgun. The SD9VE is a cost reduced version of S&W products, and sometimes they have issues.

Handle them both, and ask the shop to show you the internals. Try the trigger and feel for how crisp the sear is and the reset is. If it's mushy (like the SD9VE often is) you'll only be unhappy. Many people spend big $$$ to try and improve the S&W trigger with aftermarket. Why even do that when a better alternative is about the same price.

·
Registered
7,817 Posts
I've two S&W SD9VE's in my stable. I call this model the "thinking man's GLOCK".

Yes in has a bit heavier trip pull, but that's ok in a self defense gun. When the ship hits the sand and one's blood pressure and Adrenalin are both up one doesn't want a "hair trigger"

But each to their own.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts