Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this model with the Apex Tactical trigger and spring upgrade kit. Has been a safe queen for a while. Took it out to run some rounds through it and I’m shooting 4” low. Consistently. It’s not me. My son and daughter also shot it. What’s the issue?
Is this common with this model?
Do I need to shave down the front post sight?

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
What distance may I ask? Is it consistent at 4" low? Should we assume this was never a problem with this pistol previously?
Of course, different ammo can give different results. Maybe try something different to see if results are the same?
Also, some pistols are set up for 'combat' sight picture with the front sight over the target vs. a 'bulls-eye' sighting with the center of bulls-eye sitting on top of front post.
If you haven't shot it in a long time your sight picture or grip may have changed? Sorry if you've already tried all this. It's happened to me so Just some thoughts of what I might try.

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
My Shield , M&P FS and 5906 are combat sighted and hit low past 7 yards so did the SD9VE I had .

·
Registered
7,755 Posts
If it shoots consistently low for several "experienced" shooters using more than one magazine and more than one type of ammunition then you might want to lower the front sight.

Consistently "milking" the grip or "jerking" the trigger can also keep groups low.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My best advice is to shoot it seated from a solid rest at a minimum distance of 50 feet using good 124 grain ammunition, not the bargain brand range ammo (Federal Champion, Federal AE, Blazer Brass, Independence, Speer Lawman, WWB, or Rem-UMC). If it is still hitting low contact S&W about a higher rear or lower front sight. The bargain range ammo frequently has lower velocity, plated bullets, and less strict quality control so it's not the best for testing. I'd use 124 gr. Sellier & Bellot, Fiocchi, GECO/RUAG, Lapua, or PMC to test. Sight using the actual silhouette of the front and rear sights don't just line up the 3 dots.

Best Regards,
ADP3

·
Registered
23 Posts
Relatively new shooter here but I just shot my SD9 for the first time yesterday and thought it shot low as well. I was only out to 5 yds. Thought maybe it was just my stance or newbyness 😂. Only had time to shoot 50 rds though but I’ll certainly take into account the combat sight.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Relatively new shooter here but I just shot my SD9 for the first time yesterday and thought it shot low as well. I was only out to 5 yds. Thought maybe it was just my stance or newbyness ��. Only had time to shoot 50 rds though but I’ll certainly take into account the combat sight.
With my SD40 I realized early on that I had to align the top of the front and rear sights. Not align the dots. Don’t know if you’ve got the same sights but maybe worth a try

1 - 9 of 9 Posts