Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just got a SD9VE 9mm for my wife and I'm trying to familiarize myself with the weapon before we go out to the range. Most of my experience is with hunting rifles and shotguns so an auto pistol is a brand new thing for me too. Being generally overconfident, I glanced at the instructions and disassembled it in order to clean it and see what's going on inside.

Going by the instructions the field strip and reassembly seems very easy. Make sure the chamber is clear, dry fire, the remove the slide by releasing it forward. Super easy.

Then I popped the spring and barrel out carefully, cleaned and lubricated the parts and started my reassembly. It seems straightforward, pop the barrel back in with everything facing the right direction, do the same with the spring, then put the slide back on the way you got it off. I've done all of this but now when I pull the slide back as if to cock the gun, the barrel jangles around as if it's just sitting in an open area inside the slide. This only occurs when the slide is pulled back and the chamber is exposed.

When I let the slide retract everything is solid again. The action on the slide is still smooth and I know I've aligned the spring correctly. There is no play in the barrel when the slide is not being pulled back. Am I missing a step on reassembly? Should the barrel be clicking into something in the slide? It seems like it just falls right into place with nothing but the spring to secure it. I'm wondering if I need to "set" the barrel in the slide before reassembly.

I'm new to auto pistols, and your forum as well. Hopefully I'm in the right spot. I just don't want to go out and have this thing malfunction in my hand and looking for someone to tell me I'm either stupid for putting it together wrong or paranoid and that's just how it should be.

·
Super Moderator
14,083 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I don't have one of these SD series guns, but most keep an index for the barrel against the take down pin. Do you have everything in the correct place?

Things should not be rattle loose when you rack the slide.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe this'll help.

I actually watched this exact video earlier trying to solve the issue and it doesn't look like I'm putting anything in the wrong place.

Mrerick mentioned an index for the barrel, I believe I've been putting the barrel up against that the whole time and I'm still getting play.

I'm going to keep messing with it and if I can't figure it out, I'll have her help me take a video of the problem.

Thank you guys for the welcome and all the help, will update in a bit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is a short video of the issue
Best way I can illustrate what's causing me to worry, maybe I'm just a noob and the barrel needs this amount of play when the slide is moving back, but I want to make sure before I tell my lady to toss it in her bag.

Also I have a couple pics, one of the slide assembly and one of the barrel on its own in this little album.

I looked for any sort of indexing for a place to set the barrel in the slide but I can't see anywhere else I'd put it. I slide the end of the barrel through the hole in the end of the slide, drop it all the way in, then slide it back until it stops before putting the spring back. I tried pushing the barrel back and there's no click or any other indication that it's "set" so I'm kind of lost. I can't see any other way to put it back together so any input would be appreciated.

Could something be defective? Hopefully the warranty process isn't too bad.

Thanks again for all of your help everyone.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Looking at your video, I don't think you have an issue. Notice that the end of the barrel is a larger diameter than the rest of the barrel. The hole in the slide is made to fit the large diameter of the barrel. When you have the slide retracted, the small diameter of the barrel is passing through the large diameter of the slide--there can't help but be play there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looking at your video, I don't think you have an issue. Notice that the end of the barrel is a larger diameter than the rest of the barrel. The hole in the slide is made to fit the large diameter of the barrel. When you have the slide retracted, the small diameter of the barrel is passing through the large diameter of the slide--there can't help but be play there.
I'm thinking you're right, with the hours I've spent taking this thing apart and inspecting the insides I think I needs to be able to move around like that in order to operate.

I'm gunna call the store tomorrow and see if there's anyone that knows this model but I'm less worried about it. Perhaps I'm paranoid, but safety first when it comes to guns is how I was raised.

·
Super Moderator
14,083 Posts
Your video is missing. Click and get nothing. Many of us prefer photos to be posted here on this site (so that they don't disappear later).

The barrel at the front of the slide will have play when it's out of battery. The chamber/breech (rear) end may have some play, but it should not be a great deal.

The slide stop with the cross bar you remove to disassemble the slide from the pistol must be placed at the correct point against the barrel when you reassemble things. if it's in the right place, the pistol should work fine.

Before you send it back, why not ask the dealer that sold it to you look at it? They should be able to verify that everything is right.

Reactions: ShooterGranny
1 - 10 of 10 Posts