Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I'm waiting for my set of Hi Viz night sights to arrive I installed a "Trigger Spring Kit" from M*CARBO (Military Carbine Brotherhood) in Clearwater FL. This kit is identical to the basic Apex springs-only kit sold by Apex Tactical but also includes a slave pin to assist in re-installing the trigger/locking block pin.

M*CARBO produces their own set of install videos; I'll discuss this next.

THE INSTALLATION:

I WOULD STRONGLY ADVISE ANYONE PURCHASING THIS KIT TO USE APEX TACTICAL'S VIDEO TUTORIALS WHEN INSTALLING THE TRIGGER RETURN SPRING

Swapping out the striker spring and the striker block (safety plunger) spring was easy. Unfortunately swapping out the trigger return spring by following the manufacturer's video tutorial didn't work and neither did the "installation tool" (slave pin).

M*CARBO's tutorial instructs you to remove the trigger/locking block pin by using a pin punch and tapping hammer to drive out that pin from the right side of the frame. DON'T DO IT. YOU COULD DAMAGE BOTH THE PIN AND THE SLIDE RELEASE LEVER. That pin can easily be removed by using a Glock armorer's punch or similar tool to push on the pin from the left side of the frame while wiggling the slide release lever forward and rearward just like a Glock.

Re-installation of that same pin after installing the trigger return spring is also somewhat wonky as they use a small plastic slave pin to capture the loop of the trigger return spring then pushing the trigger/locking block pin through the frame and the slide release lever from the left side of the frame. IMO an exercise in futility. Following Apex Tactical's instructions the sear block is removed so that when you're ready to install the trigger/locking block back into the frame the back end of the trigger bar can be raised up which aligns the loop on the trigger return spring for easily slipping that trigger pin back in FROM THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE FRAME and then you can wiggle the slide release lever to finish pushing the pin back through...just like a Glock. Then you hook the back of the trigger bar into the sear block, push the sear block back in and re-install the rear frame pin.

I struggled with that miserable little slave pin for half an hour and then using Apex Tactical's suggestion (removing the sear block) re-installed that trigger pin in seconds.

NOTE: the rear frame pin on my pistol was symmetrical. It doesn't have a large end with knurling on one side so it didn't matter from what side it was driven out or re-installed.

THE RESULTS:

M*CARBO claims a 35% reduction in trigger pull weight reducing the pull from approximately 7.5 - 8.5 lbs. down to around 4.75 - 5 lbs. I don't own a trigger pull measuring device but I'd say that's about right. There is a noticeable reduction and trigger pull is lighter, crisper, and smoother. Take-up and re-set are unchanged.

The true telling will be when I get out to the range and test a variety of ammo to ensure there are no light primer strikes. I don't think there will be (crossing fingers).

M*CARBO's customer service and shipping times given the current situation are excellent and I like their culture. They also offer discounts to military, veterans, and first responders. My only area of concern is the tutorial video which takes shortcuts that IMO don't work. Other than that they're GTG.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just for grins took the pistol over to the gun shop and had them put a Lyman trigger gauge on it. Was very surprised to see an average pull of 8.5 lbs! As a control they brought out a new in the case SD9VE and the trigger pull measured exactly the same.

Weird. :unsure: BTW the trigger itself is still stock.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Range Report! Range Report!

My M*CARBO'd SD9VE shoots like...

Seriously, very nice. Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts