Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought the SD9VE a few days ago. On inspection I found that when I pulled the slide back with an empty mag that the slide lock only catches the bottom of the slide but does not fully engage the slide lock lever into the full upward position. I wave not fired it yet.

·
Premium Member
12,723 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

You can certainly open your own thread on anything we discuss here. when I see old threads like this revived, I call them "zombie threads" because they are rising from the dead.

Sometimes they do this many times. This one, from 2012, got a couple of resurrections.

Your pistol may behave differently when recoiling from firing. The SD9VE series is a cost reduced version of S&W pistols and there is sometimes less hand work and precision to their manufacture. Also, the magazine follower typically lifts the slide lock so there may be issues with it's spring or lubrication / fitting.

If your gun is brand new (not just new to you), it may need to be cleaned. Sometimes manufacturing debris (like chip) is left in the gun, and it can interfere with the action. I always clean the barrel in any case since any excess lubrication should be cleaned out of it before firing. If you bought a used gun it almost certainly needs to be inspected and probably cleaned.

When you fire it for the first time, load one round and fire it. See what happens. Make sure you support the gun properly in your hands. If that works out OK, load two rounds and fire both of them. After a couple of cycles of that, if there are no malfunctions it should be good to go.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you! I took it out today and tried it again and think I found the problem. I believe the way I was racking the slide was causing my Palm to come in contact with the slide lock and keeping it from full engaging. When I changed up the way I racked the slide the slide lock fully engaged. I had contacted customer service and they sent me a label to send the gun back to them but now I am uncertain if I should.

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
The slide stop is actuated by the magazine follower pushing up on it... so another thing to check is whether or not the mag spring is weak, or if its movement is possibly being impeded by built up gunk.

Do you have another magazine to check operation?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts