Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like most of the aspects of the SD9VE, except it shoots 2 feet low at 30 feet. A gunsmith mentioned that this pistol had barrel bushing issues at one time that would cause this degree of inaccuracy.

A Laser Boresight (chambered) shows the sights are on, but multiple shooters have the same issue with my pistol. Any suggestions?

Part of me wants to sell it and move on, but I could HIT with it, I actually like most things about this pistol.

·
Registered
15,642 Posts
Get a new gunsmith. The SD9VE doesn’t even have a barrel bushing.
How are you aligning the sights? I use a combat sight picture with the white dot covering the bullseye and mine shoots pretty good

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
I have one on Gunbrokers watch list, looks like new and right now top bid is $181.00.
I'll see how this plays out, still 8 days left.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
James, 2ft seems extreme @ 30. We’re you shooting from a bench rest to confirm?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I like most of the aspects of the SD9VE, except it shoots 2 feet low at 30 feet. A gunsmith mentioned that this pistol had barrel bushing issues at one time that would cause this degree of inaccuracy.

A Laser Boresight (chambered) shows the sights are on, but multiple shooters have the same issue with my pistol. Any suggestions?

Part of me wants to sell it and move on, but I could HIT with it, I actually like most things about this pistol.
A quick glance at the muzzle would show that there is no barrel bushing. Put the gun on a rest and fire some targets, taking the shooter out of the equation as much as possible. As others mentioned, cover the target with the dots instead of floating.

shooting low is the most common result of flinching. 2 feet low at 10 yards is almost impossible (if the shooter isn't flinching) unless the gun has damage that would be easily seen by normal inspection.

Reactions: TTSH

·
Super Moderator
14,051 Posts
If the pistol itself is inaccurate, and sight adjustment or replacement cannot resolve the problem, don't pour money into it.

These are a cost reduced product, and my recommendation would be to replace it with a full M&P product appropriate to what you use it for. You'll get a better trigger out of the box.

Years ago, a student brought a Sigma into class and despite trying, could not shoot it accurately. I asked if I could try it, and the trigger was so inconsistent that I couldn't shoot it accurately either. I've never recommended the cost reduced product lines since then.

Reactions: 1av8r

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
This is the part that confuses me. The chamber laser boresight (I'm assuming used correctly) says that your sights are right on the money, but multiple shooters are still shooting ~2 feet low at 30 feet? How is that even possible? Are you using the laser boresight at 30 feet as well?

I wish I could see the gun. I have no such issue with my two SDVE pistols. Something is really weird here. o_O

·
Super Moderator
14,051 Posts
Trigger so bad that it dips every time it's triggered...

Reactions: jamesallendumas

·
Registered
15,642 Posts
Trigger so bad that it dips every time it's triggered...
Could be, but I don't think mine is all that bad. Of course I shoot revolvers a lot so an 8# trigger press is fairly typical. The SD9VE trigger press is fairly smooth with no hang-ups, or tough spots to pull through. You just have to learn to use it and it sounds like your experience with the gun involves mainly newer shooters who have not done that

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is the part that confuses me. The chamber laser boresight (I'm assuming used correctly) says that your sights are right on the money, but multiple shooters are still shooting ~2 feet low at 30 feet? How is that even possible? Are you using the laser boresight at 30 feet as well?

I wish I could see the gun. I have no such issue with my two SDVE pistols. Something is really weird here. o_O

I have/had a similar situation with a 5926. Sights with boresight spot on. When the barrel was on ambient temperature (say first couple of shots) it was low roughly the same as yours on 5 to 10 yards but when blowing through a couple more rounds and maybe mags it became spot on. I checked the barrel muzzle and found a little bit of burr on it. I started to polish it with 300 and 600 grid paste and a 45 degree tool from Brownell's. It got much better but when I thought I solved the problem and had the gun sitting for a couple of weeks it was back when using it on the range. I did another round of polishing and repeat the wait time, let's see if that puts it to rest or I will get a real muzzle job.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Odd, I have one and it shoots accurately with a lot of different mfg's fmj ammo and grain, from 115 up to 147.

Yes, of course it may be the gun, but it also may be you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Odd, I have one and it shoots accurately with a lot of different mfg's fmj ammo and grain, from 115 up to 147.

Yes, of course it may be the gun, but it also may be you.
If that were the case, it would be me, and everyone at the range. I have been shooting for 49 years.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts