Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
Just looking for some advice. Im very new to the gun world and need help. I bought a brand new SD40VE and got to fire it for the first time tonite. After firing one round the pin would not reset and it would not fire...My instructor said he is not a fan of these guns and it got me worried.... I really like the feel of the gun I just want some other opinions on the quality and reliability of these guns.

Thanks!!!!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
The SD__VE are value pistols. I personally have a SD9VE. I did a lot of work on mine, such as a complete breakdown with polishing and lubing, before ever going to the range. After a couple of range trips I followed up with changing guide rod, springs, trigger, sights, and several other things. It would have been just OK without aftermarket parts but with them it’s great.

·
Banned
1,715 Posts
Get rid of it (or just retire it if you have become attached to it) and get a Glock.

·
Premium Member
13,673 Posts
The SD / Sigma line are all cost reduced design pistols.

I have had a number of students with these as well as the new "EZ" series and they were not satisfactory.

Some jammed within a few shots of new. Some had horrible triggers.

So... I am also not a fan of these pistols. Stick with the regular M&P pistols or the regular M&P Shield pistols.

Reactions: Madviking

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
Get rid of it (or just retire it if you have become attached to it) and get a Glock.
Don’t know if I would do that, the SD is a glock snapshot. Go with a Beretta. I had a SD9, the latter is a better tool for me. An M&P would work too.

Thewelshm

·
Super Moderator
35,582 Posts
Sounds like a great deal! The M&P series of pistols are a more refined and smoother gun but more than a few also enjoy the SD/Sigma as a less expensive handgun. The few I have shot are quite nice.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I literally shot a SD VE .40 tonight at the range. The guy in the lane next to me had one, and I had a glock 19. You could tell the 19 was higher quality, and he said so. His groups were way better shooting a Glock for the first time. However, it's also +$200 at least.

I'd say a good intermediate is a S&W Shield 1.0 or 2.0. Better quality than the SD VE.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts