Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased my first pistol ever. It is the SD40VE and I bought it new 2/11/2013. It felt good in hands
and price was in my range. I hired a NRA Certified instructor for a few hours to walk me through the gun and proper safety etc. I have fired around 50 rounds through it but have had 6 misfires on the three occasions. 2 of them resulted in the round being stuck in the chamber and involved a gunsmith to open chamber to get them out. The firing pin hits off the primer and then locks them inside the barrel. Im frustrated because as my instructor says the loudest noise in the world is "click" I have tried 2 different types of ammo and lubed and cleaned gun after each use according to manual. I have sent the gun back to S&W but Im going to have a hard time trusting this gun now.
Ive scoured the web looking for any others having this problem, but nothing. In fact the gunsmith had never seen it happen either in all his years.
Any feedback comments are welcome and this is my first post!
Thanks

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Chainsaw, first congratulations on a wise decision to hire an Instructor. With a good instructor it'll be worth every penny you spent. I have heard of similar problems but not on a Smith and that was a long time ago. I understand your disappointment, but I'm positive they'll make it right. Once you get it back, shoot it until you do trust the gun. For a defense pistol it ain't right til it's 100%. Being older I guess and kinda set in my ways, I still prefer a wheelgun for defense, although I taught the semi auto as a Law Enforcement Instructor for years. I prefer the immediate action on a revolver if it don't go bang. Pull the trigger again! Please update us when you get it back. Good luck.

·
Registered
329 Posts
SW will repair your firearm, they have one of the best customer service departments in the industry. I would give it another try out just to be sure but I bet you'll have a very good pistol when it returns. Problems with any of the VE models are very rare around here. IMO a "best" buy!

·
Registered
134 Posts
SW will repair your firearm, they have one of the best customer service departments in the industry. I would give it another try out just to be sure but I bet you'll have a very good pistol when it returns. Problems with any of the VE models are very rare around here. IMO a "best" buy!
Ditto I just sent them my 22a and they have een top notch !

·
Super Moderator
19,410 Posts
Chainsaw,
I'll give you one really great piece of good news. S&W has not only the best customer service, but the service department has what may be the quickest turn around on repairs in the entire industry. I've sent in 3 handguns for service and all of them have been back in my hands in less than 2 weeks. And that's even with me living nearly across the entire country. The service is top notch. I'm sure they'll make it right, and do it quickly, at no cost to you whatsoever.

Gearchecker

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Hi chainsaw, welcome to the forums from Poconos, PA. My SW9VE had to go in for service/repair shortly after buying it pre-owned. Sounds like similar symptoms. Mine needed extractor replaced. As GC said "<2 weeks turnaround". I'll look around here, I know there's a thread & maybe some pics. See post #11

·
Registered
747 Posts
Ditto to all above. I'd like to add one more thing....being that it's your first pistol. Make SURE you have
a nice firm grip on the weapon when firing. The .40 wants to pop the nose up quite harshly. You need
the firm grip, to assure the weapon's slide can "cycle" properly.
Ed

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well thanks for the assurance that Smith has the best warranty out there! I will update the thread once Ive received my pistol
back. In meantime, Im looking for a compact .40 anyone have good reccomadations on one?

·
Super Moderator
19,410 Posts
One of the best compact 40's is by far the M&P 40C. It's impressive and has an excellent track record.
There are few used ones on gunbroker, but I'd be inclined to find a new one if you can. I had an M&P 40 and really liked it, but a trade offer crossed my path that I just couldn't refuse. It was traded off. I still have a couple other 40 caliber pistols, so I'm really not out anything by trading the M&P off.

I wish you the very best on this.

Gearchecker

Reactions: chainsaw94

·
Registered
3,037 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got the gun back today. The paperwork only stated "barrel modification". Not sure what that entailed ? Hope to try out this weekend yet

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Could be a few things. But the important thing is to go out and try the heck out of it. If it works like it should and you're curious, give them a call and ask. If it doesn't, that's a whole different conversation! I'm betting it will work fine. Have fun with it and let us know how it went.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts