Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, thanks in advance for the help. I have an SD40VE, never had a problem with it to this point, has about 2000 rounds through it.

I recently went to clean the gun and when I released the mag and cleared the chamber, I pulled the trigger and the slide just fell off the gun. I put the slide back on, racked it back, pulled the trigger and the slide fell off again. This never happened before, I’ve taken this gun down many times before.

Anyone know what could be wrong? Thanks again

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Doesnt that gun have the Glock style take down levers. Have you looked to see if they are still in teh upright position? if they are hanging low it would be the spring.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
If the little disassembly bar breaks the slide will not lock onto the frame and continue to fall off till you replace it.

I had this happen to one of my GLOCK 19's. With a little patience you can change one out in about 10-15 minutes.

Welcome aboard from the "GunShine"state of Florida. weiweinp

State of over 2 MILLION 21 THOUSAND Concealed Carry Licenses and counting!

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
Sounds like the locking block is broken or stuck in the down position. Or the retaining pin/spring for the locking block had broken and the locking block fell out !!

·
Registered
48 Posts
There is a springloaded bar that holds tension on your take down bar or “plate”. It should be painted green and it’s under the take down bar inside the frame. Press something and see if it has tension.

·
Registered
25 Posts
There is a springloaded bar that holds tension on your take down bar or “plate”. It should be painted green and it’s under the take down bar inside the frame. Press something and see if it has tension.
The retaining parts of frame, around the takedown latch, are what gets broken
by the aftermarket recoil springs (excessive solid
length).

This guy may have already gotten that answer, over on the blue forum.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The retaining parts of frame, around the takedown latch, are what gets broken
by the aftermarket recoil springs (excessive stack-length).

This guy may have already gotten that answer, over on the blue forum.
I don’t think he ever said he had aftermarket recoil spring or guide rod. And the retaining block that goes over the trigger couldn’t break. That’s the only “retaining” part. Other that the bar to holds the take down bar in the locking positing and that goes down into the fram and connects to the slide rail guides. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I don’t think he ever said he had aftermarket recoil spring or guide rod. And the retaining block that goes over the trigger couldn’t break. That’s the only “retaining” part. Other that the bar to holds the take down bar in the locking positing and that goes down into the fram and connects to the slide rail guides. Am I wrong?
Some or all (?) of the aftermarket springs have excessive 'solid length'--
the spring length when fully compressed, into a solid cylinder.

That excess solid length prevents the slide from impacting it's designed
'stop' on the frame, and the slide's inertia is instead absorbed by the
frame that supports base of recoil spring guide. That part of frame isn't
designed to absorb that level of force, and breaks. The takedown latch
then starts acting wonky, with slides flying off when triggers are pulled.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts