Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems the old standard 158swc-hp lead and 125gr. plus-p have near 70% one shot stops in hundreds of recorded shootings. The Speer gold-dot 135gr hp short barrel load is not proven yet to the hundreds of recorded case,s with the above loads. Some claim the +p 158swc lead does good the snubby in self defence and in cold climates and thick winter coats is a preferred load.

·
Registered
19,777 Posts
I generally stick to Winchester +P .38 Spl. 125 gr. JHP in my M-10 and M-36 2" snubbies. Nuthin' fancy. It not worth the money to me. :roll: I just want something to do the job. For my woods carry 4" M-67, I choose 158 gr. LSWC.

In my M-66 2.5", though, I use Remington, Winchester, or Federal 158 gr. JHP or JSP in .357. It'll kill 'em just as dead!!! The main thing is....you still have to hit yout target. KISS :lol: Bob

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes a steady diet of full power 125gr. 357 is hard on the 66 and 19 in big amounts. A few here and there will not harm it,but you don,t want to shoot 100,s in a shooting cession I like the 158hp too in the K-rame and the WW 147 silver tip 357 mag load. The 125+p 38spec. is my SD load too in the 642-1. My 686-3 2.5" will eat anything and breath fire all day. Anything is better than the standard 38spec. 158gr. roundnose.

·
Registered
668 Posts
ok.....I finally got a snubbie....3" 629-4 and here ya go talking about them other calibers ......

What experience do the members have in the big bore snubbie ammo choices? I reload and anticipate finding something suitable.

·
Registered
182 Posts
It's simple. Matching point of impact with point of aim is more important than which bullet you use. You have to hit first. For example, my 642 hits perfectly with CorBon's 110 jhp. My Model 12 needs the classic 158 lswchp. There is no magic bullet. Let me say that again: There is NO magic bullet.

For the 44 snubbie, I used Speer Lawman 200 grain 44 specials in mine. I use the same thing for a "town load" now in the single-action that replaced it.

·
Super Moderator
8,955 Posts
I have some Federal 125 g. nyclads in my M60 right now. They hit POA perfectly for me.

·
Registered
593 Posts
m657 said:
ok.....I finally got a snubbie....3" 629-4 and here ya go talking about them other calibers ......

What experience do the members have in the big bore snubbie ammo choices? I reload and anticipate finding something suitable.
I carry 180 grain Hornady XTP .44 Specials in my 3" 29-3.

My 637 gets fed either Speer 135 Gold Dots or Remington 158 LSWCHPs. Both are of course the +P variety.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
parson45 said:
It's simple. Matching point of impact with point of aim is more important than which bullet you use. You have to hit first. For example, my 642 hits perfectly with CorBon's 110 jhp. My Model 12 needs the classic 158 lswchp. There is no magic bullet. Let me say that again: There is NO magic bullet.
Amen to that!! greatpost

With the ammo shelves being nearly empty for 18 months or so in stores around here, all I've been able to load up in several guns are my special "performance" handloads that match POA with POI. Funny how I'm much more confident in these than I am the preferred factory fodder which is de facto unavailable! :)

xtm

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I had to develope a load for my 66 snubbie, tried all the short-barrel loads, expansion was still iffy. No more! .357case with a standard small-pistol primer, 7 grains of Unique and a Speer 158gr.LSWCHP. Averages 950 out of my 2.5" barrel. At ten yards bullets penetrate three water-filled Milk-Jugs and lodges in fourth. Mushrooms to approx. 70caliber. Works for me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes even with 158gr. jacketed hp the 7 gr. load of unique is subperb! I like the same with 158 hard cast lead swc,s.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts