Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for info on drilling and tapping K and L and N frame for scope base I have EGW and Weaver bases that are factory hole pattern
what tools do I need and is there a drill guide you can buy to due this?

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have had several done by my local gunsmith. I take him the bases and let him do the work. He has the right jig to make sure everything is perfectly level and they come back perfect every time. I think he charges $60-70 to do the work. Quality bits and taps are expensive and while I could use them more than once, I figure no more than I'd ever have done it was worth the money not to take a chance.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
I believe BSquare (?) makes a no drill scope mount for a k frame. I never had one but I seem to remember seeing one on someone’s revolver at my church’s sportsman group shoot.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
The proper way to do this is in a milling machine but I have done a few using the new mount as a guide to drill the holes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am thinking about having a drill guide made for hole pattern and a tap block to get tap started straight that way I should be able to due on my drill press.
know machine shop here that will work on gun but will make a guide.

·
Registered
13,379 Posts
I believe BSquare (?) makes a no drill scope mount for a k frame. I never had one but I seem to remember seeing one on someone’s revolver at my church’s sportsman group shoot.
Yes they do, I had one and it's not worth a sh*t. Recoil will cause the front stirrup to climb on the frame, a poor mount in the least. If someone wants it, I have it, you pay the postage, you can have it. Lesson learned with me. Much better to jig the frame and drill and tap it for a rail.

Reactions: Injunbro

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
Buy a latter dash number revolver that is drilled and tapped.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wish I had the money to by newer revolvers but I will have to stick with these three old clunkers M15-3, 586-3 I think and M29-3 my eyes just can't see front sight very good so red dot it is one at a time when I have cash!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got two done the M29-3 I (bough used it had been rode hard and was rough that was why I did it first) was my first and I got a drill guide and tap block made bought tap from midway (Hanson bran) big mistake those are junk I got it done but it took for ever and the threads looked like crap and are rough finish (I have been tapping holes for near 50 years those are worst taps I have ever used) filled the voids in threads with thread locker and drove on if it does not hold will go to next size bigger thread.
so ordered tap and drill from Williams gun sights to due the 15-3 now that what tap should cut like nice clean and smooth threads. shoot the 15-3 today every thing good just need to get red dot dialed in going to shoot the 44 mag next week to see if it will stay tight!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well I have a 100 rounds of 44 spl through the M29 and it still tight thread locker working, have 300 rounds through M15 still tight and scores improved had to change bullets so I could use speed loader faster those double ended wad cutter don't feed to easy using 125 TC lead now works lot better, would help if I chamfered cylinder holes a little.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got the M586-3 drilled and taped for scope base thread locker drying as I type, when this Covid-19 passes I will be ready to sight in and have some fun!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts