Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Doctor gave my Dad a series of exercises and stretches to do. Now it's my turn.
My butt hurts and my leg gets tingly.
If I'm hiking, biking, or doing most anything else on my feet, it's fine.
We just gotta get some warmer weather so I can wander the area mountain trails again.

I guess it's fortunate that it's not on my gimpy side. I think.
Yeah, my gimpy leg makes walking enough of a challenge.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Most every day in every way I got to keep reminding myself.
Getting old ain't for pussys,,,,,, But it beats all the other alternatives.
Ya just keep on keepen on.

·
Registered
10,302 Posts
Snubby, I have arthritic knees and lower back, the past year and a half really set me back. In January of this year, we bought a new bed and since then my pain levels have dropped drastically! The problem is still there, I can feel it, but it's easily manageable which has been a blessing; I can walk and do yard work again without it being a major effort. If I could drop some weight, it would make it even easier, but now that I can move around, hopefully that will come with increased activity. Good luck!

·
Registered
12,778 Posts
Most every day in every way I got to keep reminding myself.
Getting old ain't for pussys,,,,,, But it beats all the other alternatives.
Ya just keep on keepen on.
I like the way you wrote that. Getting old means you ain't interested in ***** as well.....:D At least not as much......

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
12,778 Posts
Snubby, I have arthritic knees and lower back, the past year and a half really set me back. In January of this year, we bought a new bed and since then my pain levels have dropped drastically! The problem is still there, I can feel it, but it's easily manageable which has been a blessing; I can walk and do yard work again without it being a major effort. If I could drop some weight, it would make it even easier, but now that I can move around, hopefully that will come with increased activity. Good luck!
...and here I am laying down 7 grand for a New Mexico high altitude elk hunt on horse back and I'm not even sure I can get up on a horse anymore, let along get off. I can still ride, one never forgets how, but the rest, not sure about. My greatest fear is coming home in a body bag but what the heck, might as well have fun right???

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I suffer from sciatica also. It usually flares up in the fall when I cut down Mrs. Magspop s lilly garden because of all the bending over and then it lasts till about June. I do some stretching that keeps the pain bearable. The pain starts in my left butt cheek (I'll post pictures later) and runs down the back of my left leg to my ankle and it can get extremely painful, meds don't even come close to helping. Anyone suffering from sciatica has my sympathy. It doesn't stop me from walking 18 holes (daily in the summer) at my local golf course though.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I like the way you wrote that. Getting old means you ain't interested in ***** as well.....:D At least not as much......
We do have 3 cats....

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I suffer from sciatica also. It usually flares up in the fall when I cut down Mrs. Magspop s lilly garden because of all the bending over and then it lasts till about June. I do some stretching that keeps the pain bearable. The pain starts in my left butt cheek (I'll post pictures later) and runs down the back of my left leg to my ankle and it can get extremely painful, meds don't even come close to helping. Anyone suffering from sciatica has my sympathy. It doesn't stop me from walking 18 holes (daily in the summer) at my local golf course though.
What really sucks is that mine seems to flare up when I'm sittin' in my cushy recliner in our living room. Right now I'm sitting on the floor with my laptop sittin' on a foot stool.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I thought I had read in a post here that "if there ain't no pictures, it didn't happen". So I feel like a picture or two is only appropriate if not mandatory.
Yeah but (or is it butt?) there's an exception to every rule.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
Same condition put me in the hospital for 3 days 2 yrs. ago. And no...meds don't help. Dr. said they couldn't give me any more pain meds or they would kill me.
I also have a blocked nerve canal at l-5. I'm hoping surgery will fix that.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Stubby, I can relate to your back pain. After my flying lesson in late 88 I was laying on a gurney in the emergency room.
The doc came in with my X-rays. He said I've got good news and bad news. I said ok doc what's the bad news, he said looks like your back is broke in 5 places. After a second I said what is the good news, he said you can wiggle your toes. You have got to
keep moving. Cliff

·
Premium Member
10,222 Posts
There are a number of things that can cause systemic inflammation and pain.

One is sleep apnea. The body repairs itself and clears out lactic acid overnight when you are sleeping. When you have sleep apnea, this doesn't happen and one result is pain from systemic inflammation.

Another is uric acid. You don't have to get gout to be suffering from too much uric acid. It can lead to systemic inflammation before it triggers gout.

The tendons at the base of the back are rather complex. A good experienced physical therapist can help you focus on the right exercises to resolve problems. You have to do the work.

TENS is basically a bandaid for pain. It stimulates the nerves and keeps them busy, so they stop sending the pain signals to the brain. If nothing else works, it can help deal with symptoms. It doesn't cure anything, and (by masking the pain) can allow you to prolong problems and open the door to more damage.

I fell about a year ago, knocking my hip out of alignment with my lower spine. Still working on that one, but finally making progress. All of the above are involved in my treatment.

As my FIL once said, "when you get this old, things go wrong..."

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I use a tens unit to tread mine. Unless I have really forgotten how old I am, it works well. I think it feels good. Bill
Hey I got one of those. Hadn't thought of electrocuting my ass.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts