Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Giz and others, I need your help.

What are the differences between the Ruger Blackhawk and the New Vaquero? I can't seem to make heads or tails from the Ruger website. I can see that the Blackhawk looks different along the topstrap area. What is the difference in the frame sizes?

What do people like about the Vaquero, over the Blackhawk?

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Vaqueroes are fix sight and there are the old Vaqueros you could get up to 44 mag and the new Vaqueros with a lighter frame and smaller grip frame and not as strong. They are super popular with the cowboy action people and quick draws. Because they are desighned to look just like a colt.If you want to shoot the heavy loads the old Vaquero is they way to go. They are heavier than the new ones but not a boat anchor either. I was just messing with a old one today.

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-NewVaquero.htm

·
Registered
182 Posts
Forester, if you're looking at a 44, CDNN still has some of the 50th anniversary 44 mags at a discount. The beauty in this one is that it's a full-strength 44 mag but also has the smaller grip frame that feels better in the hand to a great many of us. Other differences: Blackhawks have aluminum grip frames and ejector housings, Vaqueros are all steel. For all-day carry in a good holster, there isn't enough difference in weight to matter. 357s are heavier, of course, because of the smaller holes drilled in them. The XR3-RED gripframe (Blackhawk) has always felt a little big to me; the XR3 fits me perfectly. (YMMV)

I have become a big fan of the flattops -- the anniversary models and the Lipsey's 44 -- because I have the adjustable sights of the Blackhawk with the all steel construction and smaller gripframe of the Vaquero. If I could find an XR3 gripframe for my 45 Colt Blackhawk, I'd be happier than a pig in.....well, you know.

Edited to add: Another difference I recalled: the new flattops and, I believe, the new Vaquero have the indexing pin that allows the cylinder holes to line up more easily for loading/unloading. To my knowledge, this feature as not been added to the Blackhawk series.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Forester, all good points above and a great link to 'gunblast'....... ihjf
as said above, the best deal we have seen ,is indeed that 'CDNN' sale on the anniversary 44 flatops, and at those prices good enough to shoot, use, just do not ride it hard and put it away wet......( take care of it........) kfjdrfirii

1 - 6 of 6 Posts