Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
12,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forum member Forester posted up a beautiful model 625 for sale and I was able to reach a purchase agreement with him. I have never owned, shot or handled a gun that uses moon clips before. What all do I need to know? I will be ordering some so I will have them when the gun arrives. I see there are both steel and polymer ones out there. Are the polymer ones any good?
Are there any brands to avoid? Where can I find them for the best price? Quite a while back, I think one of the forum members posted a moon clip loader that they had made. If so I would like more info on it. Is there an advantage to using half moon clips?
I was getting low on 45acp and spent the last half of June loading some up so I should be ready to go when the revolver gets here. Right now everything I have is loaded with a 230gr plated RN bullet. I sold off my 45 caliber Hipoint carbine to help fund the 625. I hate to sell guns but a S&W in place of a Hipoint is definitely an upgrade!

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
I've got moon clips from just about every company that makes them and they all work well. The secret to keeping them working is to not bend them. A clip loader, either bought or made really makes the job easier and reduces the chance of bending.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
The key to moon clips is to have enough for a fun trip to the range without having to fool with them. If your usual shooting session involves 50 rounds then moon up 50 rounds at home and take them with you. Demoon when you get home. It pays to buy a good tool for loading clips and make your own de-mooner from 1/2" copper tubing. BTW you may be wise to double your usual range trip round count. These guns are just a blast to shoot and it's pretty easy to send 200 rounds down the pipe before you realize it.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,556 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,325 Posts
Be prepared to slice and punch tiny little holes in your fingers and thumbs before you get the hang of loading them.
I find moon clips to be a pain to load and unload, but it makes reloading the revolvers so easy, you'll wonder why they didn't have moon clips on all revolvers.
I prefer steel moon clips simply because they last longer and don't get bent out of shape very easily.(Not unlike me)

Enjoy your new wheelgun, and be sure to give us your impressions once you're back from that first range session.

Regards,
Gregory

·
Registered
12,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The key to moon clips is to have enough for a fun trip to the range without having to fool with them. If your usual shooting session involves 50 rounds then moon up 50 rounds at home and take them with you. Demoon when you get home. It pays to buy a good tool for loading clips and make your own de-mooner from 1/2" copper tubing. BTW you may be wise to double your usual range trip round count. These guns are just a blast to shoot and it's pretty easy to send 200 rounds down the pipe before you realize it.
I intend to have enough clips for 100 or more rounds so I can clip them before heading out. Sounds like I will need a couple dozen at a minimum

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
I do not have a loader, but I bought an inexpensive demooner from Wilson that woks very well and really helps in avoiding any issues. As you probably know, you can also use auto rim brass and avoid all of the issues with moon clips. Just need another shell holder. I did buy another set of dies because my old ones could only be set for a regular crimp and I wanted to try a taper crimp for my 1911's. Not sure it makes any real difference. You will need lots of ammo for that 625 though. Wonderful revolvers.

·
Registered
6,959 Posts
Shoot the Moon!

I intend to have enough clips for 100 or more rounds so I can clip them before heading out. Sounds like I will need a couple dozen at a minimum
Hey Jonesy,

First, just get 100 Full Moon Clips from Revolver Supply.........George Martin is a real pleasure to deal with. Supplies for the Revolver Enthusiast He also has a variety of moon clip loading and un loading tools. The Clips will run you about $40 for 100 or $.40/@ They last a lifetime, if you don't bend them.

For un "clipping" I use a "De Mooner" from Dillon at Dillon Precision

Revolver brass is REVOLVER BRASS! I use Starline +P. The "nicks" and "dents" a 1911 puts on the case head, will not permit the cylinder to turn.

Primers must be seated below flush.

I "de bulge" all my .45 acp brass, made a de bulger similar to this Case Master JR Rimless Case Sizer - Magma Engineering Company (will take pics, if you need them) out of a Harbor Freight Arbor Press, a Lee FCD and a Lee Case Feeder. Can "de bulge" about 1,000/hr, not trying too hard.

Powder. Highly recommend CLAYS powder. Light charge weight. Very accurate. CLEAN BURNING! SINGLE BASE POWDER!

Primer. Fed 150.

Bullet. Most 25's and 625's shoot the 230gr LRN WITH THE GREASE GROOVE AND FRONT DRIVING BAND very well. Quick re load, as well.

All .45 caliber revolvers that I have fooled with shoot the 255gr LSWC (short snout) with EXCEPTIONAL ACCURACY! (slow reload)

Crimp Die. Highly recommend the Lee FCD!

I have been fooling with 25's and 625's for a looooooooooooooong time. Have enough full moon clips, that I can clip up over 2,000 rds.

Always have some that: need "de mooning", some that need "mooned", some in the "Go Box".......... Is a system that "works" for me.

Cleaning the clips. You can tumble them, or clean them with a "soft" wire wheel on the "slow speed" of the drill press.

Let me see if I have any pics? The powder coated bullets, pictured with the 8-3/8" 625 have the "grease groove and front driving band". Much more accurate than bullets without them.

Later, Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
I agree with Mark on everything except brass. All my brass is range pick-up brass processed normally with Lee dies. I also seat and crimp with the same die. Both my 625s chamber and fire every round i've ever made. Any dents that the dies don't remove get fire formed out I guess. Mark is spot on with regards to loads. Those 230LRN bullets shoot a one hole group.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts

I don't have a single moon clip for the only revolver that needs one.

The information in this thread will be my guide in the future.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts

·
Registered
6,179 Posts

·
Registered
6,179 Posts

·
Registered
16,962 Posts
I use a BMT Moon clip loader for my 357/38 and 45 ACP. You can look them up on line and they run about 90.00. They are the best I have tried.
357/38
View attachment Moon Clip Loade357br.bmp View attachment Moon Clip Loader357.bmp View attachment Moon Clip Loader357a.bmp
45 ACP
View attachment Moon Clip Loadera.bmp View attachment Moon Clip Loaderb.bmp
I like the moon clips as they do allow me to keep up with the semis in the bowling pin shoots. Round nose bullets are much quicker to load too. they seem to self center faster. Enjoy it.

·
Registered
12,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The BMT moon clip loader is cool but after buying the revolver I don't have $90 to drop on a loader right now. I have seen a few homemade ones and will make my own for now.
I don't currently have any lead bullets for 45acp and have about 800 rounds loaded up right now with 230gr Plated bullets and have another 600 or more plated bullets on hand so I will see how they run. The 45's I have on hand were fired through my 1911 so again, I will have to see how they run. If they bind up I'll get some brass or fire some of the factory 45 I have and segregate the brass.
Some 230gr LRN will be on my shopping list

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
1,651 Posts
There are two kinds of moon clips. The ones that are easy to load and easy to bend. You don't want these. The others are hard to load and unload. You don't want these.

·
Registered
6,959 Posts
I agree with Mark on everything except brass. All my brass is range pick-up brass processed normally with Lee dies. I also seat and crimp with the same die. Both my 625s chamber and fire every round i've ever made. Any dents that the dies don't remove get fire formed out I guess. Mark is spot on with regards to loads. Those 230LRN bullets shoot a one hole group.
Hey Mark,

In the "speed games"............ with a 625 you are inserting SEVEN SEPARATE PIECES into the cylinder, on the "re load". If one of the "pieces" (six cartridges and one full moon clip) is "messed up"........the cylinder WILL NOT TURN! If doing fast DA work, one can/will break the "hand" or the trigger pin! (notice the extra "hole" above the trigger in the above pictured 625?) That is how S&W repairs broken trigger pins!

One also wants one's ammo to "fall" into the cylinder (takes a bit of practice) LOL

Later, Mark

·
Registered
6,959 Posts

·
Registered
6,959 Posts
The BMT moon clip loader is cool but after buying the revolver I don't have $90 to drop on a loader right now. I have seen a few homemade ones and will make my own for now.
I don't currently have any lead bullets for 45acp and have about 800 rounds loaded up right now with 230gr Plated bullets and have another 600 or more plated bullets on hand so I will see how they run. The 45's I have on hand were fired through my 1911 so again, I will have to see how they run. If they bind up I'll get some brass or fire some of the factory 45 I have and segregate the brass.
Some 230gr LRN will be on my shopping list
Hey Jonesy,

Don't despair!

The .45 acp full moon clips are about .045"! Plenty sturdy!

Take a piece of 1/2" copper tubing, and leave a "shelf" on the cut of one end (similar to the screwdriver looking tools above pictured) You want it about 7" in length. This will unload the clips just fine (until you get a "De Mooner", which is over twice as fast).

Now, get you a 4-1/2" pair of CHANNEL LOCKS! Wrap the "outer" jaw in FRICTION TAPE (grind the teeth off, if you plan on using it for any length of time) Keep the teeth on the "inner" jaw. Adjust to the "third" notch. With CHANNEL LOCKS in RIGHT HAND, place the "flat" of your FULL MOON CLIP on the "inner" jaw. Place a live round in the "top" opening in your full moon clip, and gently "squeeze" the round into the clip. Pretty fast! Will not damage clips with a modicum of care.

Guess I need to do another photo shoot? Let me know......

Later, Mark

1 - 20 of 59 Posts