Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
10,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier I was watching last night's recorded episode of "Live PD" and a shady couple said their SCCY 9MM was stolen by home invaders... maybe, but it got me to doing some quick research and all I can find is the manufacturing spin. Based on the looks of the 'victims', I'm guessing this is not a high quality firearm. I'd ask my son, but he's busy at work and being it's Saturday, I don't want to interrupt his focus. I'm not in the market to buy, just curious. Do I put this in the "Jimenez" category or not?

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
SCCY firearms is a "spin off" from KelTec. The are right down the street from them in Daytona Florida. When they originally come out they were all stainless. Some folks like them, no they are not a top line company but they sell some guns. DiamondBack was another one but Taurus bought them up (I think)
None are on my list to have. I did have a KT years back.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Have you heard of Kel-Tec? The Sccy (originally Skyy and sued by the Vodka Maker) was formed by disgruntled KT executives that made a knock-off of the KT P-11 9mm. They even set up shop mere Miles from the Kel-Tec factory.

From wikipedia:
SCCY Industries was formed in 2003 by Joe Roebuck. Originally, the company name was to be Skyy, but after trademark concerns regarding the use of the name by SKYY vodka, the name was changed to SCCY. Since 2010, the company manufactures all firearms in a factory in Daytona Beach, Florida. Prior to 2010, the guns were manufactured in South Daytona, Florida.
Their early pistols were pure garbage. I hear that they've gotten better.

Sportsman's guide sells th CPX-2 for about $225. Does that give you an idea of it's quality? :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think is better than a Jimenez and or a Taurus, I fired one from a guy at the range (he insisted) and it seem OK, is a DAO if I remember correctly, and he stated that he had fired thousands of rounds, but we know how that goes, if you go into the website, they show even lots of different colors and variations.

·
Registered
16,555 Posts
My son got a SCYY II and it has been a great gut. Similar to Kel-Tec but has never let him down and for the price he could afford it at the time. His is a metal and not plastic but definitely would not just throw it under the bus. He has had it about 7 years and goes to the range regularly and has never failed him. Just my experience with it. As a side note, I did some research and the SCCY I was problematic and the II had some definite improvements.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
They are budget priced guns and for the most part horrible. When I couldn't sell another brand of gun because of price, I had good luck with them. Come in different colors and was popular with young women.

·
Registered
9,059 Posts
I had a CPX 1 pure garbage, but lifetime warranty... The CPX 2 has a great review with Hickok45..

Thewelshm p

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
In our Pawn / Gun shop we sell alot of SCCY ( pronounced SKY) pistols. The action reminds me alot of the old 469 Smith Pistol Actions . Of the ones we have sold we have only had 2 come back. SCCY replaced both pistols no questions asked. for an in-expensive defense pistol on a budget . I think they fill a niche . The one i shot worked fine and accuracy was acceptable ...

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Well based on my brief and crappy experience with Kel Tec, I'm sure I'm not interested in any off shoots. Had enough trouble with the original crappy product they sold me. I did wind up visiting the factory over in Cocoa Beach ( for repair #1 on a P3AT, since I live in Tampa I made a road trip in my Vette ) and was not at all impressed with the operation. After repair #2 ( which wasn't any better than #1 ) I was fortunate enough to sell the damned thing to a friend who talked me into buying one in the first place since his was at a gunsmith waiting on Kel Tec to send parts which all tolled took 4 months to complete. $$$wise, I came out OK for a year's worth of aggravation but sure did waste too much time on the damned thing. The only gun in my 44 year old collection I ever got rid of and was happy to do so.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have a CPX2, it was on sale for $154 when I bought it. I've got over 3000 rounds right nine with absolutely zero problems. It feeds anything I put in it and goes bang everytime. The trigger is a long heavy pull that started it gritty but it's smoother now. It was my everyday carry gun until I lost 40 pounds and could carry iwb. I still carry it occasionally but it goes to the range with me everytime I go.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
The ones I know of are proclaimed to be good guns by their owners and they are not inexperienced gun owners. One friend, a owner of SCCY, is notorious for buying small, reliable handguns and stashing them in his truck, boat, bike, etc. in places where he can get to one in case he doesn’t have his primary carry.
He likes SCCY handguns for that role.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The two owners I know are very pleased with their guns. Not elegant or competition quality guns but reliable and more than adequate for CC or HD use.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
I don't subscribe to risking my life on an inferior gun because it's economical. I would rather do without and save for one of dependable reputation and quality.
Sometimes folks just can’t afford the best. They settle for something less expensive. From what I’ve gathered from those that own them and have shot them, they feel they are reliable and not a huge loss if they disappear. Their opinions carry some weight with some, and probably don’t with others.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts