Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put on layaway a Savage model 99 in 300 Savage. It has the old style features with the rotary mag and saftey on the lever. I can not find my link to the website that would give you a dob if you entered the serial # Does anyone have this link or know where the Savage model 99 crowd hangs out on the net? Serial # is E1192xx. Paid $350 otd for it. I haven't seen one for under $500 for the longest time and this one is clean. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Belated congratulations on a terrific bargain! Have you had a chance to get it to the range yet?

As it happens, my 99R in .300 Sav is my favorite long arm, bar non. Mine was made circa 1953, and also is rotary magazine, safety down on the lever, shot counter, etc.

Bill

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey thanks Bill,
I got her home last month, but I haven't put any bullets down range with her yet. All she needed was a quick wipe down and a bore brush down her barrel to get out some dust bunnies and she was good to go. As an added bonus she came mounted with a decent Tasco 3x9 scope. She has the later pressed Birch wood that Savage was using late in their production when they were trying to cut costs so she is not the looker that my pre-war 99 is, however if she shoots half as good she'll be a keeper and my Remington model 700BDL will get pushed back another slot in the safe. I'm am looking foward to getting her wrung out prior to deer season.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I knew Savage went to birch stocks late in the production runs, but I didn't know they put birch stocks on while they were still making the rotary magazine models.

It's true that the rotary magazine -- one of the niftiest magazines ever designed, IMO -- got to be just too darned expensive to manufacture.

I think the Savage 99 is the best lever action ever made, bar none. Wish I could afford to buy a good example in .243 and .358; there weren't all that many made, and finding one out here on the left coast is difficult, and if you do, be ready to dig deep into your wallet.

About the .300 Savage round: I recall reading a piece by Jeff Cooper 50 years or so ago in which he said that when the Army Ordnance people were casting around for a replacement round for the venerable '06, one of the rounds tested was the .300 Sav. They even modified machine guns to see how it worked.

It didn't, very well. Apparently the short neck and steep shoulder (at least, in Cooper's opinion) caused serious feeding problems in full-auto fire mode. So the 7.62/.308 was the eventual solution.

But the .300 Sav still is a very fine deer and elk round out to around 250 yards. Been a long time since I tried to hit anything at any longer ranges than that.

My older son, now 38, surprised all his blastfire magnum buddies by showing up for a Texas hunt with his grandfather's 99 in .300 Sav. Outcome: one shot, one dandy 5-point buck.

Bill

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
The 300 Savage in 1920 gave 30-06 ballistics in a shorter cartridge that would work in the 99 Savage. It was very close to WW1 Ballistics but all things being equal you can get better speed from the larger case. After WW2 the military wanted a shorter cartridge for the replacement for the Garand. The logical choice was the original short 30-06, the 300 savage. Original tests used the 300 round but there were some complaints about the short neck and capacity of the case. the 7.62 x 51mm NATO round was developed from a combination of the 300 Sav. and the 30-06 case. One of the things that Ordinance wanted was close to equal ballistics with the shorter cartridge, 30-06 military rounds were loaded to 45,000 psi and by loading the new 7.62 Round to 50,000 psi they got their equal velocity. "Small Arms of the World" carries this story. The question that I wouldhave is were they looking at the wrong ideas? The Russians came out with a very short 7.62 round that could be fired fully auto with ease. By insisting that we have parity with the 30-06 we had a Military rifle that had full auto option but was completely uncontrollable in full auto. Those 125 gr bullets from the AK 47 were very deadly especially when fired full auto. The M14 and M15 were waisters of ammo in fully auto. In semi Auto the M14 (M1A1) is a very accurate rifle.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I haven't seen the Small Arms of the World entry; I will look it up Perhaos that's where Cooper got his info, as well.

I understand that the factory .300 Sav loading pre-WWII was hotter than the current version; pre-war it matched .308 ballistics. Certainly there is no problem with action strength.

Interesting thread!

Bill

·
Registered
7,755 Posts
Congratulations on your new toy! klgasilBRVO

The .300 Savage was a very "under-appreciated" round and was a great match for the M-99 lever gun.

I always prefered the M-99's lines over the Winchester or Marlin lever guns. kfjdrfirii

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Sam Fadala(SP) wrote some very good articles for Gun Digest annuals on the Savage 99. Along with others here, he felt the 99 was the finest levergun out there, and he really loved the .300 Savage cartridge. I've always enjoyed his writings.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
All I can say is, among my dad, my uncle and me, the 99R in .300 Sav. that I currently cherish has taken its share of deer and elk over the years.

Bill

·
Super Moderator
10,855 Posts
Got to looking at these great rifles on GB last night. They are surprisingly all over the board. Starting bids from $200 with no reserve (gun wasn't in bad shape, either) to $1,200. I sure would like to find a reasonably priced version of this rifle some day.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I really admire the classic Savage Model 99. I took a lot of deer in my 20s and early 30s with one in .300 Savage. Later sold it and regretted it. Bought another about five years ago and it has proved to be an even better rifle than my first one.

The rifle and a 100 yard group shot with 165 grain Speer boat tail spitzers.

My first Model 99 .300 Savage and a couple of Texas Hill Country runt deer. I'm holding my eldest son who will be 27 this weekend. He and his wife are expecting. Will be our first grandchild. My old favorite Model 10 is under my left elbow.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I once owned a nice M-99 in .250 Sav. for about an hour. I bought it from the fellow standing behind me in the ticket line at the big Houston gun show. I felt like I overpaid a bit, but it was a nice old one with finely checkered wood, all the other features, and a neat little flip-up tang (?) sight behind the receiver.

When I got inside, people kept flashing more and more money in front of me. I finally succumbed to the temptation and took the profit - thinking that I could buy an even nicer one with my capital gains. You know how that worked out. :lol:

xtm

1 - 14 of 14 Posts