Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since they cancelled Wanamacher's show I decided I'd go to the little show at Tulsa today. I was almost to the door when I saw this old rifle. The seller was a regular so I stopped to visit. It was real slow today with the rain and the China flu scare. He said make me an offer so I did. I got this old 99 Savage in 300 savage. It's got a Nikon 3-9 pro staff with the BDC reticle. Old rifle looks to have been well taken care of. The serial # is 7481xx
with what looks like a C on the lever housing. I'm thinking its from the early 50s. I've already got one lesson, I
stopped at Bass Pro on the way home and bought one box of ammo. Over $2 each, one box was all I wanted.
Here is what she looks like. Cliff image.jpeg image.jpeg

·
Registered
20,551 Posts
Nice score on a fine rifle Cliff! Looks great. The older firearms just have more class, clean lines..heck they just look better. Glad it functioned well for you.:cool:

·
Registered
119 Posts
I got this old 99 Savage in 300 savage.
The serial # is 7481xx with what looks like a C on the lever housing. I'm thinking its from the early 50s. Cliff
That serial shows as 1954 production (but the C on the lever boss indicates 1951, so it may be like mine - parts from different production runs assembled after the serial was assigned).

A bit more info on mine here: https://www.smithandwessonforums.com/forum/long-gun-forum/208127-little-lever-action-post2341929.html#post2341929

You may want to check out the Savage Collectors section on this forum , there are lots of guys who can help you on any question... and the poster wyo1895 (David Royal) has written a very good Collector's Guide for the 99 - you can buy a copy from him via PM on the forum.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts