Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After I got my 300 savage I was warned they were habit forming, how true. It seemed if it's got a
lever it will be high $. we ran across this 1899 Savage at a small gun show last weekend. This one was made in 1911. They still made the 25-35 at that time. The old rifle hasn't been drilled for a scope. Here is a pic or two. Notice the coin on the front sight. I'd love to find a Stith mount for it since I have a Stith Bearcat scope.cliff

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
They are habit forming. I love the coin front sight, classic shade tree gunsmithing. Got to have a front sight, let me see what's laying around in the shop/barn. My earliest one is from 1920.

·
Super Moderator
34,748 Posts
Really nice! Between me and my brother we share a Savage 99 in .250 we inherited, it goes to whoever has a hunt planned for the year.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
What a classic piece of history you have. Before things got crazy, I bought a '99 (1947) in .300 Savage along with a pre-zip code box of ammo, in good condition, very smooth action. I was also able to surprisingly buy 3 boxes of ammo at our local feed store at a competitive price.

At a later gun show, there was a '99 in 250-3000 that showed a lot of use, while I dithered, I came a across a 27-2 5" (1973) in excellent condition at a price I couldn't refuse...plus it had the *****bro (pop up window just told me this was an offensive word...way to go Canada)stamp of approval. :)

The '99 action was decades ahead in design, and I'd take the .300 Savage caliber over the .30WCF any day of the week; unlike the Win '94, you'll be able to load pointy bullets in the '99...nice find. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts