Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother stopped by with a couple guns last night, his girlfriend has owned them for several years. At first glance I thought the Colt Mark IV series 70 was a dull stainless, but now believe it to be satin nickel.

The guns are filthy and have alot of handling marks, I do not have any nickel guns in my collection and I am not sure what to use to clean this one. Any suggestions? Thank you, Dave

·
Registered
753 Posts
I found this in a cooking section, don't tell my wife! :D

1Use a commercial metal cleanser to clean your nickel pieces. Wipe clean and buff to polish to a desired sheen. This is always the best option for cleaning and polishing your nickel.
Step2
Spray your nickel pieces with a household oven cleanser spray. Let this set on the piece for about 30 minutes and wipe clean. Buff to polish the piece.
Step3
Soak your nickel pieces that have become covered in dirt and tarnish in a solution of water and vinegar. Use 4 parts of water to 1 part of the vinegar. You may have to soak the pieces overnight to thoroughly clean them. Rinse the vinegar and water solution off, dry completely and buff with a clean dry cloth to polish.
Step4
Remove the grime and grease from nickel auto parts by using household ammonia mixed with water. A good mixture would be 25-percent ammonia and 75-percent water. Soak for 30 minutes and check if the grime is coming off. If not, add more ammonia and re-soak. You may need to brush gently with a soft cleansing brush. Rinse the nickel part and dry completely. Buff with a soft cloth to polish.

I wouldn't do step 4 as ammonia could affect the underneth plated layers (remove the copper then the nickel peels away)
They have a polish called Flitz or I think Mothers mag polish would do a nice job also.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much 500 for the info, by the way your secret is safe with me.
Thanks again. Dave

1 - 3 of 3 Posts