Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this from a friend that bought it from a retired San Antonio cop. I have all the info on this gun and different situations it was used in and crimes it stopped. The officer's time was from 1968 and retired in 2000. Not in bad shape just honest wear and I won't feel bad shooting it. My friend actually had very nice targets with the speed loader cut out and when I saw it I told him I wanted the originals instead. I think it should be left like it was. James

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dang it Drew you made me get out the ruler to check. No, it's a 4" 19-3. I think it's the angle I took the picture from. nhvaoavo

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Still, James, thats a very, very fine revolver that's "walked the walk...".

A neat addtion to any collection.

Drew

·
Registered
10,918 Posts
Sebago Son said:
Still, James, thats a very, very fine revolver that's "walked the walk...".

A neat addtion to any collection.

Drew
Agreed. It, more than likely, has also "talked the talk"
Well done kfjdrfirii

·
Super Moderator
8,955 Posts
That is very cool, be sure to write the provenance down some where.

·
Super Moderator
32,471 Posts
I agree with Drew about "walked the walk". A little honest wear on a find like that makes it more appealing to me since it proves that it was and is a working weapon. Great find. kfjdrfirii

·
Registered
402 Posts
Nice score on the SAPD model 19. It looks in great shape for being on the job for so long. kfjdrfirii
Now you'll have to hunt down one of their Model 58 .41 mags that they carried for awhile just to keep it company.

Just curious but is it marked SAPD ?

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Congratulations! Great that you found the history behind it too! By the way... I have the same counter top on the breakfast bar in my kitchen!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys(and Miss Wendy) for all the nice remarks.

m58 said:
Nice score on the SAPD model 19. It looks in great shape for being on the job for so long. kfjdrfirii
Now you'll have to hunt down one of their Model 58 .41 mags that they carried for awhile just to keep it company.

Just curious but is it marked SAPD ?

No marks on the gun but on the inside of the grip frame has his rank and social. Funny thing about the 58's I have ever come across were always in very good condition or better and my friend has bought every single one of them right in front of me.

Hunter, the officer was nice enough to write down the history and it came with the gun. He even noted there was a time when they were not allowed to load their guns with .357's, .38's only. He said he would switch them out as soon as they left HQ each day.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
James, now see? That's what we in the collecting Biz call provenence. Adds to the value of the gun.

·
Registered
10,918 Posts
DaveWW said:
James, now see? That's what we in the collecting Biz call provenence. Adds to the value of the gun.
Isn't that in Rhode Island? nvonjvila

·
Super Moderator
32,471 Posts
Jamn 44 said:
Thanks guys(and Miss Wendy) for all the nice remarks.

He even noted there was a time when they were not allowed to load their guns with .357's, .38's only. He said he would switch them out as soon as they left HQ each day.

Very welcome, James!

I have never understood the idea of a police force buying a .357 and then not allowing the use of ammunition for which the firearm was designed for. Like taking a race horse and making it a gelding. :(

.38 Special is a very good caliber with the right make of ammunition, but why not go for an excellent load? JMHO.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts