Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - A friend of mine has a revolver that he inherited some time ago. He would like to sell it and has asked me if I could determine its value. He doesn't know anything about it, so I thought I'd come here for help. From pictures I've googled, the revolver looks to me to be a Safety Hammerless. I'm not sure of the caliber, as I do not find any markings regarding a caliber on the revolver. I have no ammo or accurate measuring devices, but I'm guessing it's a .32 since my tape measurement of the barrel diameter is around 5/16". The barrel length is 3 1/4". The revolver is a 5 shot top break, nickel plated, with what I believe to be mother of pearl grips. The serial number is 56456. On the top of the barrel are two lines of information: SMITH & WESSON SPRINGFIELD MASS USA PAT'D FEBY, and below that, 20 77 DEC 18 77 MAY 11 80 SEPT 11 83 OCT 2 83 TWO AUG 4 85. Thanks in advance, any information would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,476 Posts
First Model .32 S.H., made 1888-1902. If the grips are S&W originals, they're worth as much as the gun, which isn't more than a couple hundred. Check Gun Broker for SOLD prices.

By the way, if you'll check some of the recent threads, you'll find several discussions of this model, as questions about them pop up quite often.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Not a 32, the cylinder extends past the trigger guard. It is a 38 Safety Hammerless, 3rd model, made before 1898.
Note the comparison between the 38 on top and a 32 below.

38sh.jpg

Prices usually in the 200 to 300 dollar range.

John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts