Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was reading something and somebody made a comment about how shotguns and rifles should not be kept with a round in the chamber as they are not drop safe. I just got my Sport II a few weeks ago and am going to the range Tuesday (6/2) to practice. I keep all my pistols (S&W Shield, Ruger American Full size, wife's Ruger LC9s) with hollow points loaded. None have safeties.

Is a Sport II or any recent long gun "drop Safe"?

While I am at it. I have a 1926 S&W 44 Special. So it is closing on 100 years old. Shoots nice. Made before they had the new safeties. Is it drop safe?

·
Super Moderator
19,368 Posts
Here's the very best way to see if your rifle is "Drop safe."
Take an empty casing and put a new primer in it. Don't load any powder or a bullet into that casing.
Load your Sport II rifle with just the one primed shell and drop it, top first onto a concrete or asphalt surface from waist high. Be certain to have the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, so that anybody near you won't get hurt.

After that's all said and done, pick up the chipped and damaged rifle and accept the fact that it is indeed drop safe. Pull the trigger to pop off the primer and call it a night.

Regards,
Gearchecker

Reactions: Sportymonk

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So do you keep a round in the chamber like pistols or not?

·
Registered
19,781 Posts
About all I can say.....I wouldn't keep a loaded gun....worse yet, a round in the chamber, if you have children around! That being said.......you can do as you see fit, if there is no chance of anyone handling the gun. I should add......be aware of the gun laws in your state. My state, Massatwochits, has some of the dumbest laws on the books. You have to keep guns and ammo, in separate locked containers!!! Mighty Inconvenient, in an emergency.....to say the least!!!!! :rolleyes: Bob

PS> I can not tell you what to do. THAT is your own business.

·
Super Moderator
19,368 Posts
Yes, you're rifle is drop safe.
I also keep my pistols in the house for self defense loaded, with a round in the chamber. For those guns I also have the safety off.

·
Registered
12,547 Posts
Don't leave a shotgun like that, however.

·
Registered
17,505 Posts
I keep a round in chamber on my revolvers if there is a Transfer bar, I do not trust the Trigger position safety like some single actions have and I will not upgrade safety but keep the cylinder chamber empty in line with the firing pin. Rifles and shotguns are never loaded in chamber untill ready yo hunt or tatrget shoot. That is just what I have been taught.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Most people aren't aware that the manufacturer of a new firearm must be approved for sale by our beloved government. A specific drop test is required as one of the conditions for sale. Height and number of drops and on specific surfaces.So, you can be assured your M&P 15 has passed the test. The caveat is if any modifications are done that changes the mechanics of the rifle all bets are off.

·
Premium Member
10,781 Posts
Government approved firearms? Which agency is doing that work? Are you talking about city, county, state or Federal government?

Where are the standards that the government is evaluating the firearms against?

I'm really interested in learning more about this government program.

I do know that the ATF Tax and Trade Bureau takes the excise taxes we pay on firearms and ammunition and uses it for control of firearm imports:

TTBGov - Home

But design and evaluation standards? Please - I'm very interested...

·
Registered
346 Posts
If I lived in a place where I thought I had to keep a live round in the chamber at all times, I'd move.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts