Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got to shoot my 8 3/8" N-frame 629-4 in 44 magnum recently. Put about 50 rounds through it.

When I got home to clean and inspect, the thumb piece to open the cylinder was loose. I went to tighten it and and the stud on the bolt sheared instantly. Ordered and got the new bolt in and put it all back together.

Once I did, I checked functionality. Double action seems fine, but single action seems REALLY light. I cannot even feel it break. I'm going to try and find a trigger pull gauge locally if any of my friends have one. Really don't want to buy one. I'm not sure if it's just me, but I really don't remember it being this light before the stud on the bolt broke.

So really just curious, how light "should it feel" in SA?

·
Premium Member
18,486 Posts
I don't know how familiar you are with the S&W action. But, if you replaced the bolt, you must be fairly familiar and comfortable enough to work on it. I recommend reviewing this video before doing more troubleshooting.

I have a Registered Magnum that has a very light trigger. I acquired it that way and suspect a previous owner had it "slicked up" by a gunsmith. These guns came from the factory with excellent trigger pulls. My gun does not exhibit "push off." You might want to check yours by cocking the hammer in single action, then pushing on the hammer tang to see if the hammer falls. If it does, either the seer or the hammer notch needs work.

From our FAQ:
The hammer notch must be square, sharp and not rounded. It's only .005 inch tall so use a eye loupe to inspect it. Use a new stone to true it up, if it's not square. (I like ceramic stones for this) Then after the hammer is proper, stoning the trigger will correct the push off.

Remember use a 6 inch long stone. Changing the stone length will affect the trigger pull.

To test the trigger hook, you scrap it on your thumb nail. If nail is scraped off, you got it sharpened correctly.

If you want a lighter single action pull, you dull the angle by lightly stoning the angle parallel to the table top.
If this is too complicated, a good gunsmith should be able to fix it for you.

Reactions: delcrossv

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
My TL Target went back to S&W for a trigger job in the late (1900) teens. The SA pull is feather light- and no push off.
stock guns like my pre 29's have a fairly light SA pull.

Reactions: Bigfoot99

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know how familiar you are with the S&W action. But, if you replaced the bolt, you must be fairly familiar and comfortable enough to work on it. I recommend reviewing this video before doing more troubleshooting.

I have a Registered Magnum that has a very light trigger. I acquired it that way and suspect a previous owner had it "slicked up" by a gunsmith. These guns came from the factory with excellent trigger pulls. My gun does not exhibit "push off." You might want to check yours by cocking the hammer in single action, then pushing on the hammer tang to see if the hammer falls. If it does, either the seer or the hammer notch needs work.

From our FAQ:

If this is too complicated, a good gunsmith should be able to fix it for you.
No push off, so that's good.

I'm not super familiar with Smith and Wesson at all. But, I am very intuitive when it comes to figuring things out, there's lots of info and "how to's" out there, and the whole action is not very complicated. I did work on military aircraft weapons systems for 20 years, so there is that too. LOL

·
Premium Member
18,486 Posts
Sounds like I know someone who can work on my atomic bomb when it needs maintenance. :)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,991 Posts
My dad's 29 / 44RM I inherited, has an extremely light SA pull, My Lyman gauge says 1.8 pounds. It's sweet and he had it professionally done.

Interestingly however, my X frame 460 long barrel is almost as light from the factory. 2.0 pounds SA. actually, to my trigger finger, the 460 feels better than my dad's 29 does but it could be the frame size and weight.

Double action on both requires a 'Charles Atlas' pull..... :eek:

Reactions: Cliff and Bigfoot99

·
Registered
12,991 Posts
If Jewell or Timney mad a trigger for revolvers, I'd be buying one..............

Reactions: Bigfoot99

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My dad's 29 / 44RM I inherited, has an extremely light SA pull, My Lyman gauge says 1.8 pounds. It's sweet and he had it professionally done.

Interestingly however, my X frame 460 long barrel is almost as light from the factory. 2.0 pounds SA. actually, to my trigger finger, the 460 feels better than my dad's 29 does but it could be the frame size and weight.

Double action on both requires a 'Charles Atlas' pull..... :eek:
It varies on what the "specs are supposed to be," but I've found anywhere from 2.5 to 3.5 for SA.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I've head it said that single action S&W triggers should not be able to be set off with the weight of gun(with the hammer cocked hanging by a finger)? Some times mature gunsmiths get carried away lightening trigger weight. There's nothing to be gained by bypassing safeties and actually you don't want a surprises.
Steve

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've head it said that single action S&W triggers should not be able to be set off with the weight of gun(with the hammer cocked hanging by a finger)? Some times mature gunsmiths get carried away lightening trigger weight. There's nothing to be gained by bypassing safeties and actually you don't want a surprises.
Steve
I don't believe anyone has ever done any trigger work on this gun. Best I can find, gun was manufactured in 1995. My deceased uncle bought it in February 1996. Fired it a few times and it has pretty much sat in the safe since then. I just purchased it from my aunt after all these years of just sitting. Next time I go to the indoor range near me, I'll borrow their trigger pull gauge. I've already asked a friend who works there.

·
Registered
10,908 Posts
The pressure needed to pull a trigger on any S&W revolver never bothered me as long as it was consistent and smooth. It's pretty rare for me to shoot one SA even at over 50 yards. If I wanted to shoot SA, I would have a Blackhawk. I do have a SAA Colt clone (Uberti) that needed work but lightening the pull was never attempted or needed. The one Desert Eagle I shot was Holy Smokes long, 27 1/2 lbs and gritty. Pure crap, measuring trigger pull with sacks of potatoes is ridiculous.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts