Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the opportunity to get either or. What would you lean towards. Some have bashed kimber quality on here which concerns me. On the other hand SA is praised and I rarely hear complaints. So if u had the chance, what would u pick?

·
Registered
611 Posts
I've had many Springfield 1911s and they were all great guns. Never owned a Kimber so can't speak to their quality or customer service. I would probably go with the Kimber because they are made in America. Springfield's frames are forged in Brazil. JMHO

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have both SA and Kimber. I would go with the SA. The Brazil connection is interesting. First of all Imbel in Brazil is a large multinational arms manufacture and does really good work. Also on other forums several of the SA faithful are saying SA is now getting the frames and slides from a source in the US. Of course you have seen many of them made in the USA for years since even if they get the frames and slides from Imbel, if over 70% of the work on the finished product is done in the US, then it is made in America.

I could see Imbel dumping SA since Imbel has several large contracts to upgrade all the handguns and most of the rifles for the Brazilian Army and is probably pretty busy. I was hopeful the 9mm 1911s a lot of the units were using might find their way up here but I guess they are going to their home gaurd from one story I read.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
The Kimbers I have are in 45 and 38 super and I find them to be very accurate and dependable with excellent finishing. Both were purchased some years back, so I cannot speak to recent quality from experience.
I have a SA range Officer in 9mm and it is a very good pistol. I did have to send it back to Springfield because the trigger pull initially was about 6 pounds. they tweaked it and it is now about 4.5 and smoother. Functioning has been 100 % from the start and accuracy is good. Kimbers are a little more expensive. Good luck in your quest.

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
Springfield Armory hands down. Forged frame & slide. :cool: I had Wilson swap all the MIM parts with bullet proof parts. My good friend John, who works at Wilson told me they (wilson) can't/won't work on Kimber's because they are MIM frame and slides and internals. I will never own a Kimber because the snotty SOB in customer service. John said MIM parts are hard to fit. I inherited a bunch of Colt 1911's that are locked away in my safe. I got my SA 1911 A1 back from Wilson and it's just like it was from SA. I shoot my SA ALOT. Good Ole 1911! JMO:cool::3953tsw:

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
I've had many Springfield 1911s and they were all great guns. Never owned a Kimber so can't speak to their quality or customer service. I would probably go with the Kimber because they are made in America. Springfield's frames are forged in Brazil. JMHO
I seriously doubt that Kimber forges their own frame so who knows where it comes from and like Dakota said, if 70% of its made in the USA, then they can say its Made In USA. I actually think its a lower percentage than that. Ruger claims that every part of their 1911 right down to springs, pins and screws is made in USA.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I might be missing the boat on this MIM and cast preference stuff. I'd much rather look at the whole package. Does the weapon have the features you like at an acceptable price point? What's the barrel configuration? Rifling? Sights? Trigger pressure and let off? Does it stack or release like broken glass? Mag well? How's the service when something doesn't go the way you want?

Buying a pistol only because it's supposed to have a forged frame is like marrying a woman because you like her ear lobes. Best look at the whole package.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
I can vouch for Springfields service. 2 years ago I got their Mil-spec version 1911 on tax day, April 15. In August of that year the front sight came off the gun while I was shooting it. I contacted SA and they emailed me a return label for the slide. I sent it in on a thursday and had the slide back with new front sight by the following thursday. I've shot the heck out of it since then and the new sight is still firmly in place.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Springfield Armory hands down. Forged frame & slide. No MIM parts. :cool:
Not exactly. They all use MIM parts to some degree. They most expensive SA does not but all others do use some, even the $1400 TRP. IT all comes down to the quality of the raw materials an QC. Their slides an frame are forged.

I'd go with SA as well.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I might be missing the boat on this MIM and cast preference stuff. I'd much rather look at the whole package. Does the weapon have the features you like at an acceptable price point? What's the barrel configuration? Rifling? Sights? Trigger pressure and let off? Does it stack or release like broken glass? Mag well? How's the service when something doesn't go the way you want?

Buying a pistol only because it's supposed to have a forged frame is like marrying a woman because you like her ear lobes. Best look at the whole package.
Well....yes and no. Forged is stronger an starts with better steel. What you will always hear is that cast and MIM is just as good WHEN done right. Features are great to have but not when it's made poorly. They tend to break fast(er). Have you ever bought a wrench at Harbor Freight and have it snap in half? That's poor cast. This is also the reason why it's cheaper. Just like the reason why WC is more expensive. Not just because of their attention to detail but also cause they start with better steel (tool steel) and forge.

Looking at the whole package is deceiving. May have lots of good features but it doesn't mean much if it's poor quality.

Milled and forged will always be better quality over cast and MIM.

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
A note on Kimbers, I sent a Kimber to a custom gun shop. They sent it back saying they can't work on guns that are MIM frame and parts. The kimber I HAD would not take a Colt 1911 magazine or any 1911 mag for that matter. It only took the TWO the pos came with. As long as you are spending GOOD money why not get one with a forged steel frame and slide. SA or Colt. I would never own a Kimber. Their CS are A##holes! JMO:bluelogo:

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
I have no dog in this hunt, but just want to say I have one of those "Made in Brazil-Imbel" Springfield knock-offs. . Standard Govt. looking model. Have put around a thousand rounds through it thus far of every type ammo, both factory & reloads, cast and jacketed, solid & hollow points, and the gun has never failed to function perfectly. I picked it up NIB on a whim and glad I did. It is currently regulated as one of my home "back-up" guns and I trust it will function perfectly if called upon. It also will accept any standard mfg. Govt. .45 magazine and I keep it loaded with a Kimber stainless magazine. It's a no frills entry level 1911A-1, crummy govt. sights & all, but it was a heck of a lot cheaper than the majority of .45's offered for sale today and mine is 100% dependable. Just saying....

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
How is yours a knock off? Springfield did have their slides and frame made by Imbel at one point

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
I'll also admit to not having a dog in this hunt. So far I have owned 4 - makes of the 1911: Colt, Kahr, Kimber and Star. The Kimber will shoot tighter groups out of the box than the others. Which do I shoot the most? The Colt Government, why? I like the sights better and although the Kimber shoots a tighter group, the Colt has all the accuracy I need for practical shooting. . .Some people like Chevys and some like Fords and both can give logical reasons why.

·
Registered
682 Posts
A friend of mine purchased a Springfield Range Officer in 9MM last year and he has been well pleased with it. I shoot a STI Target Master 1911 in 9MM (made in Texas) and love it but it might be a little more expensive than what you are looking for. I got a great deal on mine. I think a nice 1911 9MM to look at would be the STI Trojan.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I have a 1911 SA in 9mm and it is fun to shoot, It should get more range time than it does. I dont have any complaints with it and everyone that shoots it likes it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts