Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Super Blackhawk, S46, s/n 24489, letters with a 6 1/2-inch barrel and shipped in September 1966. I have the original box and shipper and they have been changed by using a pen to indicate a 6 1/2-inch barrel instead of the normal 7 1/2-inch barrel. Approximately 400-600 Super Blackhawks with this barrel length were made by Ruger and were most likely the result of .41 and .44 barrel stock being intermixed (per John Dougan's book on page 277).

Bill

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I believe that I would prefer a 6 1/2" barrel on a SBH. The 7 1/2" version I had was slightly unwieldy to me, and anything less than 5 1/2" is too short for that large revolver. JMO!

xtm

·
Registered
34 Posts
That is easily the nicest looking factory SBH I've ever seen!! I would buy one with that BBL. length. I would actually prefer the gun with a 6" BBL, but that one definately balances out far better than the 7.5" does with the dragoon style grip frame. :ymapplause:

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
One of my favorite 'variations', Bill.
Here's 25672, also shipped in September of 1966.
Members can look closely for the inked-out '7-1/2"' mark on the end of the gun's box.
It's apparent that Ruger (just like Smith & Wesson) didn't waste anything, whether it was boxes or 6-1/2" barrels! :lol:
The shipper (below the box) has the notations (penned in, as you mentioned) about the 6-1/2" barrel.
IMHO, the measly one-inch difference makes the Super Blackhawk look and feel quite a bit smaller.
Don

·
Registered
34 Posts
Man! Those are Rugers back when the fit and finish was as it still should be. Thanks for posting these pictures guys.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts