Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's this mean, will they work on any gun they manufacture after a certain date? I know current policy says nothing before 1957, doesn't it?
Steve

·
Registered
90 Posts
S.B. said:
What's this mean, will they work on any gun they manufacture after a certain date? I know current policy says nothing before 1957, doesn't it?
Steve
I think the cut-off is 1986.

I have a 1970s vintage S&W 39-2 that broke the safety lever (sheared). S&W repaired it and it cost me ~$100 including shipping. So they will fix it (if possible) but will charge for work on older guns.

NOTE: I've had some 1990s-2000s vintage S&Ws that needed some TLC. S&W paid shipping and repair costs for those guns.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, I'm right, in assuming that they will service all older guns, within reason and age free?
Steve

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Yep, "lifetime" means whatever they say it means. Cut off dates reflect changes in design & engineering. 'Cause they don't make 'em like they used to, they run out of parts for the older guns. Unless you can find parts for the older guns and a gunsmith to do the repair, you're screwed. Ain't progress wonderful?

·
Registered
429 Posts
When I sent in my 629 Classic Hunter they said the cut off was back to 1989, anything from '89 up was covered. My CH was made in '88. After a I called them, they fixed it free anyway this year.

Dave

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WGlide90, does your username mean you ride a 1990 Wide Glide? If so, mine is a 1995.
Steve

·
Registered
90 Posts
We need to make a distinction here... S&W's WARRANTY policy is one year parts and labor... like most makers.

S&W has a policy of servicing guns made after a particular date (1980 sticks in my mind but could be wrong here) at no cost to the owner... but that is not a WARRANTY. This is mostly lawyer stuff... but the distinction is important because warranty means one thing and a policy another...

FWIW

Chuck

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CXM, funny you should mention warranty's most warrentys aren't worth the paper they're written on, anyway. Yep, my question was about their service policies anyway.
Steve

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
The problem with the famous 'lifetime warranty' is fourfold:
1) The parts are gone
2) The old-timers who knew all about hand-finishing and
non-CNC machining are also (for the most part) gone.
3) The old non-CNC machine-tools are sitting under plastic tarps.
4) The liability issue (like it or not) is very real.
Don
:?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts