Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure where to post this, but I thought it may be of interest...

S&W in Mexico.jpg

The attached image is of a letter I came across in my fathers files. My father was an executive with General Motors, in Mexico, during the 1960's through 1980's. It shows that as a representative of the firm he was responsible for the firearms issued to their internal ("Banking") police. The letter is addressed to the Office of Firearms Registration, Secretariat of National Defense (Mexican military). It is for the registration of the firearms to be issued and lists the items by serial number. Based on the caliber being .38 Special and the serial numbers I would conclude that they were post war M&P/Model 10.

·
Registered
73 Posts
If you want to know about the current use of S&W revolvers in Mexico, sign up on Canadian Gun Nutz. Look on the "pistols & Revolvers" forum.

One of the members has spent considerable time there, shooting at a posh gun club with monied people.

They have to go to extremes to have some guns. Like having .357s remarked .38 Spl. and fitting 7 shot cylinders to 6 shot guns.

·
Registered
12,605 Posts
Not sure where to post this, but I thought it may be of interest...

View attachment 431789

The attached image is of a letter I came across in my fathers files. My father was an executive with General Motors, in Mexico, during the 1960's through 1980's. It shows that as a representative of the firm he was responsible for the firearms issued to their internal ("Banking") police. The letter is addressed to the Office of Firearms Registration, Secretariat of National Defense (Mexican military). It is for the registration of the firearms to be issued and lists the items by serial number. Based on the caliber being .38 Special and the serial numbers I would conclude that they were post war M&P/Model 10.
My pre model 10's serial number fits in between those first 2 listed and was made in 1955

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you want to know about the current use of S&W revolvers in Mexico, sign up on Canadian Gun Nutz. Look on the "pistols & Revolvers" forum.

One of the members has spent considerable time there, shooting at a posh gun club with monied people.

They have to go to extremes to have some guns. Like having .357s remarked .38 Spl. and fitting 7 shot cylinders to 6 shot guns.
I just joined and saw the posts. Great stuff, thanks.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I just joined and saw the posts. Great stuff, thanks.
There was a link on that forum with good pics of the S&W "Rappy" 6 shot revolver only available in Canada. I just bought one and it's in transit.

It's in the "Pro Series", similar to and with the same features as the 686 SSR but with a 5" barrel. I can't find anything more about it and it's not listed as a S&W catalog item.

Regretably, it does not come with two sets of grips as does the SSR. If I don't like the pebbled rubber grips, I'll order a set of wood grips from Hogue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts