Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In another thread, I asked for some help with a pair of stocks that I think are factory. I took a couple of pictures. Maybe they will help the experts. Thanks, Hank.

728294F8-0B99-4D00-B450-B3AC3460E418.jpeg
117A4AA3-FCFD-484E-8C36-A358E14C5EF5.jpeg

·
Premium Member
11,475 Posts
Are those shoes buffalo?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Look like walnut targets. K or N frame grips from mid 50s to 68 if I’m not mistaken. What did you take em off? Sorry if this was covered in the other thread. Hard to say if they’re K or N frame from the pic.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Look like walnut targets. K or N frame grips from mid 50s to 68 if I’m not mistaken. What did you take em off? Sorry if this was covered in the other thread. Hard to say if they’re K or N frame from the pic.
"KT" = K-Frame Target... an N-Frame would be 'NT'.

Interesting too... I've never seen 'WAL' on a set of grips... must mean walnut.

Reactions: msharley

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
D- Definitely K frame, they fit my 1952 Combat Masterpiece very well. Like gunhacker says, I’ve not seen a set marked like these . I agree, “KT” is K frame . They are also marked RH and LH for the respective stock panels. That’s what made me wonder about aftermarket. The black stock circles look like S&W, and they sure have the appearance of factory walnut stocks. I bought them off eBay, so I have no history on them. Don’t remember the seller description either, although I’ve learned to add a 5# bag of salt to the description! Thanks,guys! Hank

·
Premium Member
10,813 Posts
I sniffed around with Google and found a couple of sales for revolvers with grips marked this way. One of them had this description:

"#5 Very nicely grained K frame SB Target grips with football cutout and black washer from late 60s.Inside the grips are S&W catalog stamping KTWAL and RH5214/LH5210>$100 shipped"

Another had this description: P

"I have a model 17-3 / K-22 SER. # 1K481XX And was wondering what production date that would be, from what I could find I am thinking around 68-69 ?, it has the T sights T trigger and Magna style target grips KT-WAL LH#5210 AND KT-WAL RH #5214 WHICH are listed in the 1960 parts manual as the correct grips, funny thing is only the LH one is the diamond grip and the RH side isn't"

Your's have the diamonds on both, of course...

So... these would appear to be Smith and Wesson supplied replacement grips.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mrerick- Thanks much! They certainly looked like factory stocks, but I’m still learning , barely a sophomore at S&W Academy! Thanks, Hank.

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Just a guess but I'd say they're from the late 60's. They have the football ejector cutout which started in the late 50's. They also have the diamond in the center of the checkering which went away about 1967 or so.

They look more like Goncalo alves than walnut to me. GA has a lighter color with dark contrasting grain in my experience, where walnut is darker.

But then, while I can usually tell a piece of plywood from a 2X4, I'm far from an expert on wood.

·
Premium Member
11,475 Posts
I'm thinking 1970's.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts