Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New to the forum, new to older S&Ws, I normally collect WWII Walther pistols but found this locally, thought on it for a couple months and finally pulled the proverbial trigger. The serials on the barrel, butt of the grip and cylinder all match. There is number on the inside of the crane that matches itself on both sides, I’m assuming this is a manufacturer number? Curious on opinions of the bluing as well, original or redone. Happy to provide additional pictures as well!

Also curious if this is worth going out to S&W and shelling out the $100 for their official letter.

Thanks and look forward to thoughts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
12,326 Posts
Looks righteous. Congratulations!
Yes, the numbers on the crane ( in S&W parlance it's called a yoke) are just assembly numbers.
You can letter it if you want, but it will just give you where and when the factory shipped it.
One question, is the front end of the ejector Rod knob blue or steel colored?

· Premium Member
23,154 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! Your Model 1917 shipped in August 1918. Your gun has been refinished. A picture of the front of the ejector rod knob will confirm that. I don't think you are too far out of line considering today's pricing. Do the stocks number to the gun? The serial number should be stamped on the back of the right panel.

· Registered
12,326 Posts
Guy, I think that era is still penciled stock numbers.

Possible refinish, but the knob will tell.

Reactions: msharley

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yep. He just added a picture and they number. I still want to see the tip of the extractor rod.
It looks patina steel colored to me, but I could be wrong. I assume if refinished that would be blued too? Would these have been arsenal refinished or done in civilian life?

Serial number is penciled in on the right stock (I believe that’s the proper term) but not left, would only one have the serial? I’m used to the German serial process where everything is serialized.

Thank you for the feedback on the letter, knowing that I think I’ll save the $100 in the rainy day fund.

· Premium Member
23,154 Posts
The front of the extractor rod should be "in the white." And, it appears your is. But your rebound slide stud in the last picture to the left of the top of the grips is polished down. That stud should be proud of the frame. That is a clear indication of a refinish. S&W only serialed the right panel of the stocks up until around 1957.

· Registered
12,326 Posts
Rebound slide stud looks domed to me. I'm leaning toward factory finish.
Knob end is always blued in a refin.

· Registered
12,326 Posts
Nope. Stud on left side of the gun above the grip.

· Registered
12,326 Posts
The three studs on the left side of the frame are “domed” not sure which it would be. The one I circled before, the one directly below the cylinder release and one one immediately below the loading end of the cylinder.

If that's the case, I'm going with that's the original finish on your gun.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you both for the knowledge. I think I’m going to try to track down a good book to do some further research on it. Are there any books specific to these 1917s that you’d recommend?

· Registered
12,326 Posts
Okay. This picture is of a rebound slide stud that appears to be polished flat. Even if it protrudes above the frame, it has been polished.

Looks flattened, in the other pic it looks domed (???)

Hard to be sure without seeing it live. Might be inset.
One thing for sure, no bluing shop ever leaves the rod knob end in the white.

· Registered
12,061 Posts
Hey Fish,

Welcome to S&W!

Way to go! Pics of a great 1917!

Fun Times!

Later, Mark

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.