Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently acquired a pistol my grandfather brought back from WWII. Nagasaki, Japan the pistol was given to him and he has had it since, and now it is mine.

Looking g for information on it, I cannot find factual information alot of hit and miss.

I know it is a 5 shot .32 cal tip up model.
The inscription on the top of the barrel is "Smith & Wesson Springfield, Mass"
"PAT'D Apr 3, 1855 & July 5, 1859"
It has a inscription on the left hand side of the barrel, in a language that seems to be Japanese. Serial number is 16012.

I would like to know everything possible about it, value isn't really important I would rather know every aspect of the pistol I have heard countless stories about growing up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

Premium Member
make mine 45 acp 馃槑
edit.. reread your post.. based on 5 shot not 6 shot, and the pat dates

Model Number One-and-a-Half Old Model
1865 - 1868
sn range - 1-26300

according to a table in : Smith And Wesson 1857-1945 by NEAL & JINKS

YEAR Serial Number
1867 : 15937 - 21143

Not uncommon to see a Japanese connection in S&W of this period (and later) - SCSW has several notations of Japanese shipments for the 1 1/2 transitional model and the next series Model number two..

Interesting gun

you might do a google search on smith wesson Japanese, some interesting reading like https://collegehillarsenal.com/japanese-naval-contract-smith-wesson-new-model-3
This model 3 is some what later than yours but there are references that are appropriate..

j_navy.jpg

Banned
edit.. reread your post.. based on 5 shot not 6 shot, and the pat dates

Model Number One-and-a-Half Old Model
1865 - 1868
sn range - 1-26300

according to a table in : Smith And Wesson 1857-1945 by NEAL & JINKS

YEAR Serial Number
1867 : 15937 - 21143

Not uncommon to see a Japanese connection in S&W of this period (and later) - SCSW has several notations of Japanese shipments for the 1 1/2 transitional model and the next series Model number two..

Interesting gun

you might do a google search on smith wesson Japanese, some interesting reading like https://collegehillarsenal.com/japanese-naval-contract-smith-wesson-new-model-3
This model 3 is some what later than yours but there are references that are appropriate..

View attachment 425959
+1

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response I couldn't find a definitive year the pistol was made, I am interested in getting it translated also. I can not find any info or pictures of any model S&W being stamped like that.

Registered
I would suggest taking the revolver or photos to a college or university if any are nearby. You might be able to find or be directed to someone that could help with the Japanese translation.

Registered
My Japanese Kangi recognition skills came from the Navy and I really only learned the ones I needed to successfully get on or off a train by! That aside, I'm pretty sure the markings on your VERY COOL revolver are not a caution about using +P ammo! ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts