Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought one in '73 in wooden case w/knife & leather sheath. Never fired but have turned cyl. Thought would increase in value due to Smith making few commemoratives. Didn't happen as thought. Anyone else have one?

·
Registered
422 Posts
I bought a loose Blackie Collins Bowie knife out of a jumbled up display case at a gunshow a few years back and flipped it for a small profit. It was like new and had never had the final cutting edge grind. No box. Seems like I paid $90 and sold for $125. I've got a couple commemorative Colt SAA and Winchesters from the 60s. Nice guns to display but not as valuable as standard models. I did make a nice pile on the S&W 12 gun of the month set. Bought the set from Jim Supica at Arm Chair gunshow for $6000 and then sold them to Fugate Bros a couple years later for $9k. They split them up and sold one at a time for a handsome profit. I'm a fast nickle kind of guy.

·
Premium Member
Model 27 and Model 19 (early builds)
3,624 Posts
I actually have two with box and Bowie knife.

I'd also add that the have a rare frame with it's trigger guard (recessed for right handed folks). The stocks are very rare as you can see above that they are recessed on the right grip.

The factory in 1973 (only year made) spent a lot of time on the finish of the gun. It's a deep blue finish.

I like mine.

·
Registered
22,776 Posts
I have the Pa. State Police Commemorative with box. Bought it to shoot and it does very well. Love the Texas Ranger Commemorative with the knife.

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
View attachment 471749

I'd also add that the have a rare frame with it's trigger guard (recessed for right handed folks). The stocks are very rare as you can see above that they are recessed on the right grip.

The factory in 1973 (only year made) spent a lot of time on the finish of the gun. It's a deep blue finish.

I like mine.
i was under the impression that all Texas Ranger guns had the recessed trigger guard. I’ve owned 5-6 through the years and everyone I had came with the cut away guard as well as all the others I’ve seen.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
As it gets harder and harder to find pristine Model 19s.......more and more people are buying these commems for shooters.

It's a practical decision.

As such they are a good value.

Reactions: 1911

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
i was under the impression that all Texas Ranger guns had the recessed trigger guard....
Yes, they all had the recessed trigger guard. They also make some "regular" 19-3's with the left over recessed TG frames. I've seen two, and they were expensive.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
View attachment 471749

I like mine.
1911, mine is as yours of course. Nice custom features. Glad to know there is another who feels and appreciates. Hard earned $$$ 1n 1973 but no regrets.

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
I agree.

The revolver gets no love as a Commemorative issue with a wooden box and matching Bowie knife. All of the knives were made by Blackie Collins.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I like mine and would not sell the set for 1200. Beautiful finish. Have not shot it but that is very unusual for me. I so many to shoot just have not got around too it.

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
I like mine and would not sell the set for 1200. Beautiful finish. Have not shot it but that is very unusual for me. I so many to shoot just have not got around too it.
I was just looking at the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson (known here as SCSW). It was written by Jim Supica who is an honorary Board Member of the Smith and Wesson Collector Association (SWCA).

The book says they have a special serial number. The stocks can be Rosewood or Walnut (look at my pictures). They all have the narrow trigger guard as well as stuff already mentioned. I think both presentation stocks are very nice and very rare. I liked the deep blue finish of the gun from 1973. I say it is the the last of the handmade revolvers from S&W.

It says 8000 sets sold with 1950 without the case, and 50 with Class A engraved frames. I agree with your price (note the darker color stocks vs. the lighter color stocks)..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts