Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not particularly impressed with some of the stocks or grips that were produced by S&W in the past. I believe that when S&W decided to go with different companies that produce stocks only, the looks, and the ergonomics were greatly improved. I do have S&W wood for all my Smith's, but prefer the ones that were marketed by the PC division. While not actually PC grips , they are the same ones used by the PC.

Why is more desirable to have S&W grips, rather than some of the better quality grips offered by some of the best grip makers? Frankly, I would be more impressed by a nice pair of Spegels, than anything that S&W ever produced. Yet, S&W grips are considered to be more desirable by the members of this forum. Is it just a "collector" thing??? OR does this apply to S&W's in general. Having some nice aftermarket grips on the Smith, will lower the cost, as opposed to having S&W grips on it????? :roll: Bob

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
I have to admit that while working most of my guns have after market grips. I started using Fitz Gunfighters on my J frames. Herretts fit my hand a lot better than S&W or Colt grips and found their way onto some of my guns. The Pachmyres served me well on my police duty revolvers and the guns that I shot a lot. For shooting I much prefer those Pachmyres. kfjdrfirii work yes looks thepuke

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Bob and Jim,
I suspect you're both correct.
The collector thing obviously calls for factory grips.
The 'specialized collector' might look for Ropers, Sandersons, Kings, and so forth.
For actual shooting, the aftermarket stuff, Tylers, 'Goodyears', all serve a need.
If it makes your gun easier to handle and more consistent, you're the only one who knows what's the 'best'!
;)
Don

·
Registered
753 Posts
It's a collector thing. The wood combats that smith made were nice and I like them, yet most didn't come factory with them. The basic N frame wood grip is OK, and I feel they look good with them, but they don't feel like the best thing going. It's definitely a collector thing.

·
Premium Member
8,676 Posts
Yes, I have to agree it's a collector's thing. Or, a matter of looks.

I've got combats on most of my magnum revolvers but I prefer stags and a Tyler on just about everything else.

Of course, I've saved all the original grips. It's amazing to me just how much those two little pieces of wood are worth when it comes time to sell a gun!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Funny you should mention this. I bought a S&W Model 29-2 from a co-worker around 1988. It's in the presentation wood box and was made in 1976. It had its original N frame target wood handles.

The original wood handles didn't fit my hand well and did nothing to absorb or cushion full house .44 Mag loads. So I put big rubber grips on it. But I hated the way the big rubber grips looked. I bought a set of laminated walnut finger groove grips with S&W medalltions (the grips were made by Altamont, who now makes factory S&W grips). The walnuts looked great and I left them on the gun for many years. I really like factory medallions in aftermarket grips. To my eye, they make the grips look better.

I foolishly sold my original target grips on Ebay many years ago. I figured I had a bunch of grips I wasn't using in a box and I wanted the money more. I was surprised at how much money they brought.

With this and other forums, my eyes got used to seeing factory grips. Even though I am not selling my Model 29-2, I felt the desire to get my original grips back. I bought a set at the CADA gun show last year, but they had the wrong cut out. I didn't know that when I bought them, but then I saw I need the relief instead of the cutout.

Yesterday, I traded the grips I had in to the same guy at the gun show again and I got the correct grips. Now my 29-2 has original grips back on the gun....

·
Registered
593 Posts
All my using guns wear Ahrends combat grips, be they round or square butt.

I don't like Hogue grips. While the coke bottle shape is great, the grips themselves need to be thicker as they do not fill my hand enough. And their "unique" fastening method is a truly dumb idea. It makes the grips longer than they need to be and makes it VERY difficult to conceal a revolver since the grip makes a tent out of the back of your shirt if you move wrong. All my guns that came with rubber Hogues have been fixed with Ahrends.

I have only three revolvers that have not had their grips replaced. Two of them are safe queens that hardly, if ever, get shot (a nickel 29-2 with football targets and a a 10-5 with PC magnas). The other is a 637, which came with rubber copies of the excellent Spegel boot grips.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.