Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can both of these metals be polished to the same mirror like nickel finish?

Is the metal used on the S&W Models 622, 2213 and 617-2 an anodized aluminum alloy and therefore should not be polished?

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
W/ some elbow grease stainless can come pretty close but it's borderline impossible to polish aluminum to match a mirror nickel finish. When you think you're getting close compare it to the real thing... it's just not the same.

·
Premium Member
16,930 Posts
I think most of S&W's aluminum alloys are anodized. It makes them more resilient to surface wear. If you try polishing it the only areas that will polish will be bare soft metal. On the black anodized, I use Birchwood Casey's Aluminum black. With it, the bare metal takes the black, but the border of the anodizing will not. You will have a fine silver ring around the bare area.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I would agree with generally no. There are Aluminum alloys that you might be able to do that with and then protect them with a finish so they will not oxidize. Nambe alloy comes to mind but I don't think it is used in firearms.

·
Premium Member
16,930 Posts
The anodizing process coats the object in aluminum oxide. It is a material hard enough to be used in abrasives.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
The wheel polisher guys in the truck stops use a concoction made out of lighter fluid and polishing compounds. They can hand buff a set of wheels to look like chrome. Step plates etc.

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I take the blue off the frame of my S&W Model 915, how do I treat and protect the aluminum alloy surface?

Oh, what is the best way to take the blue off?

·
Premium Member
16,930 Posts
If it is an alloy frame, you will have an extremely difficult time removing the finish without electrolysis. It will be like trying to sand the shell off of an M&M.

·
Premium Member
18,413 Posts
My understanding is that lye or oven cleaner will remove anodizing. Perhaps someone else can confirm that. As far as protecting it, you could always cerakote.

·
Premium Member
16,930 Posts
To be honest, I would speak to a plating shop about what they could do for such a finish. I have heard of folks having their surplused AR receivers refinished at such places.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts