Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!
I picked up what I am guessing is a .38 spl bodyguard (no external hammer) from my uncle's collection, that I recently got to add to a colt police positive from. Can anyone tell me more about it in general? The serial number is only 5 solid numbers, but it looks like the last 6th number was miss stamped but is likely a zero it's maybe a 1/16 of an inch below the line of the rest of the numbers, but not a full stamped number....

Attachments

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
It's a Chiefs Special (pre model 36) with a bobbed hammer (and Colt? grips)
S/N would get you a date range. Probably the '50's

Originally it would have looked like this:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!
So the "Herrett's USA" grip is not original then? I think the S/N is 2065xx, (on the spread sheet it was originally listed on) but on the physical piece, under the cylinder, it has 896xx0. (The zero is a best guess based on the seemingly missed stamp)

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
Look on the butt under the grips for the S/N. The number under the yoke is an assembly number. The Herrett's are aftermarket.

·
Registered
15,301 Posts
This is what the Bodyguard style J frame looks like. The hammer is accessible, but shrouded by the frame
Revolver Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Wood

And this picture shows one of each type J frame
Top is a 442 which is the Centennial style. The hammer is internal. You can't access it or even see it, so it is double action only.
Next is a 638 which is the Bodyguard style. It has a shrouded hammer which you can thumb -cock, but just a small nub actually shows. Can be shot single or double action.
Third is a model 360j (thanks to Curt360). It has the traditional hammer and can be shot single or double action
Revolver Air gun Trigger Font Gun barrel

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.