Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,730 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass, Jeanette! Those numbers are not the serial number. The official serial number is on the bottom of the butt frame.

·
Premium Member
22,730 Posts
That's better. Yes, you have a pre-Model 17 if it is chambered for .22 Long Rifle. It is also known as the K-22 Masterpiece. It was made in 1948 so it is a very early example. S&W made Masterpiece revolvers in .22 LR, .32 Long and .38 Special cartridges. They were nearly identical in configuration. The wooden grips are not original to the gun as they are much newer from 1968 or later. However, they are similar to the grips that would have come on it. Original grips would have a sharper shoulder at the top and a diamond around the escutcheon and nut. This is a highly sought after target revolver and valuable as a collectible. Value is mostly determined by condition and I can't quite assess the condition from your pictures. However, it is likely in the $1000 range.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have 2 others that I have reaserched successfully...i believe..The 1st is a model 5906, a 9mm Pistol, semi-automatic, double action..SN TDH5724..made 1990..4 inch barrel...I find its quite less valuable than the k Frame models. I would think the Stainless function would add to value. I am trying to be thorough in my research..But, I don't understand alot of what I learn. I just try to apply some commom sense to my thinking. The 2nd is another k frame. Model 48-4. Now, i also have seen this also referred to as K-22 Masterpiece Magnum??..its a .22 wrm..not at all sure of the difference in these .22 caliber types...s...ss..lr...wrm. but...double action revolver...again...double action...dont know.................SN 3K7883...made..1971 6" barrel....ok.. i got stopped at 10 photos..so next reply will have more pics

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,730 Posts
You have done some research. You are correct on the 5906 shipping date. However, you missed a digit on the K-22 MRF. It is 93Kxxxx which puts it in 1981. The collector community values age, condition, condition, condition and rarity. The semi-autos are newer and far more were made of most models which means they are not rare. Typically, blued or nickeled steel are valued over stainless and metal is valued over plastic. Also, that is from the older collector crowd. Younger folks like the semi's. Your Model 48 might bring a bit more if it was in very good condition but it has a lot of handling marks and scratches. Maybe some rust. Also, these could be purchased with a second cylinder chambered for .22 Long Rifle (LR). That adds value if you have it. But, it is not in the same league as the K-22 Masterpiece WRT collectors.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
do you know about Stevens? I have model 1915 and the people insist on calling it a crackshot. while i think its a favorite...before i continue...is this something you know about...i have 23 firearms i am researching...and some are quite easy..while others are not.

·
Premium Member
22,730 Posts
Sorry but I don't know much about other manufacturers' guns. However, there are lots of members here who do. So, I suggest posting a picture and seeking feedback in the right forum.

BTW, there is a video on the Stevens Crackshot that may give you the information you are seeking.

·
Registered
398 Posts
not at all sure of the difference in these .22 caliber types...s...ss..lr...wrm. but...double action revolver...again...double action...dont know.........
This link explains the early .22 rimfire types.
https://www.handloadermagazine.com/cartridge-board-6

Here are the 4 types commonly available today:

Mentioned in te link above is an obsolete .22 round - the .22 Extra Long.
.22 Long Rifle (left), .22 Extra Long (right):

Also sometimes available (but rarely) is the .22 WRF (Winchester RimFire)... which is between the .22LR and the .22WMR (Winchester Magnum Rimfire)in length.

Here are the introduction dates:
.22 "short" - 1857
.22 Long - 1871
.22 Extra Long - 1880 (obsolete, ended production 1935)
.22 Long Rifle - 1884
.22 WRF - 1890
.22 WMR = 1959

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This link explains the early .22 rimfire types.
Cartridge Board | Handloader Magazine

Here are the 4 types commonly available today:

Mentioned in te link above is an obsolete .22 round - the .22 Extra Long.
.22 Long Rifle (left), .22 Extra Long (right):

Also sometimes available (but rarely) is the .22 WRF (Winchester RimFire)... which is between the .22LR and the .22WMR (Winchester Magnum Rimfire)in length.

Here are the introduction dates:
.22 "short" - 1857
.22 Long - 1871
.22 Extra Long - 1880 (obsolete, ended production 1935)
.22 Long Rifle - 1884
.22 WRF - 1890
.22 WMR = 1959
That is really good information...prior to this set of firearms i had never heard of the Wrm. seems people would like that it is bigger..maybe a good selling point for the firearms that take this caliber.??

1 - 14 of 14 Posts