Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
S&W reintroduced the SD9 & SD40 during the summer of 2015. They ONLY make it for Academy Sporting Goods, badged the ACADEMY EXCLUSIVE SD SERIES.
Currently, it's selling for $329.99. Regular everyday price is $349.99. It has HI-VIZ night sights, (2) magazines, a rougher textured pistol grip, and coated with S&W's new patented ARMORNITE finish (Melonite, Nitride). My SD9 has a born on date of 09/20/2016. This is NOTHING like the old SD series. Well, it is all black, but, other than that, this pistol is SWEET!
:bluelogo:

Attachments

·
Registered
14,820 Posts
I believe what you have is basically an SD9VE except it has a black slide instead of the standard stainless one and it has fiber optic sights instead of the standard 3 dot ones. The SD9VE replaced the SD9

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe what you have is basically an SD9VE except it has a black slide instead of the standard stainless one and it has fiber optic sights instead of the standard 3 dot ones. The SD9VE replaced the SD9
The SD9 & SD40 was introduced in May 2010. It was cheaper than the M&P, and more expensive than the Sigma. They were only produced in 2010 & 2011.
In 2012, S&W combined the SD with the Sigma to give us the SDVE series. In mid 2015, Academy approached S&W to reintroduce the SD9 & SD40, calling it the ACADEMY EXCLUSIVE. Academy would add HI-VIZ sights, while S&W made the grip super stipple (Like the new M&P 2.0). They also enhanced the trigger, which is crisper, less mushy, than the SDVE series. Also, the black slide is coated with the new S&W patented ARMORNITE coating.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
View attachment 144009 but it still looks familiar from here...............
AMMOLAND published an article on May 12, 2010 introducing the new SD9 & SD40. It was the model between the SIGMA and the M&P. In 2012 S&W combined the SIGMA (actually, just its SS slide) and the SD series, which then gave us the SDVE series. They stopped producing the SIGMA and the SD. ACADEMY SPORTS brought the SD back in 2015.

https://www.ammoland.com/2010/05/smith-wesson-self-defense-sd-pistol-series/#axzz4eOgyg4kG

https://gun.deals/product/smith-wesson®-introduces-new-sd9-ve™-and-sd40-ve™-pistols#

·
Registered
277 Posts
Sorry if this is old news. The S&W online catalog lists the SD and SDVE models now, in different frame colors. I think they have gray, OD green, and FDE. Have any of you seen them in stores yet? I asked at one store recently and they hadn't heard of them. I was wondering if there was any price change with the new styles.

·
Registered
95 Posts
That is nice! I prefer the all black with those sights too.

Guess there's not much chance of getting one here in the People's Republic of California ;)

·
Premium Member
20,150 Posts
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass, Engine104!

·
Registered
3 Posts
S&W reintroduced the SD9 & SD40 during the summer of 2015. They ONLY make it for Academy Sporting Goods, badged the ACADEMY EXCLUSIVE SD SERIES.
Currently, it's selling for $329.99. Regular everyday price is $349.99. It has HI-VIZ night sights, (2) magazines, a rougher textured pistol grip, and coated with S&W's new patented ARMORNITE finish (Melonite, Nitride). My SD9 has a born on date of 09/20/2016. This is NOTHING like the old SD series. Well, it is all black, but, other than that, this pistol is SWEET!
:bluelogo:
Nice SD9 you have there RugerNut. Everything you stated about it is 100% correct. It looks like you and I are in the same league. I added an APEX spring kit to mine. I have well over 3K rounds through it. At the gun range this past Saturday, I had the gunsmith check my trigger pull wt. After 5 pulls, it averaged 5.8 lbs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nice SD9 you have there RugerNut. Everything you stated about it is 100% correct. It looks like you and I are in the same league. I added an APEX spring kit to mine. I have well over 3K rounds through it. At the gun range this past Saturday, I had the gunsmith check my trigger pull wt. After 5 pulls, it averaged 5.8 lbs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Has anyone changed the hi viz sights on the latest and greatest sd9 academy exclusive? I love the gun but don’t like the sights. I want big dot front might sight.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Has anyone changed the hi viz sights on the latest and greatest sd9 academy exclusive? I love the gun but don’t like the sights. I want big dot front might sight.
I was thinking about adding either Meprolight or Trijicon night sights to my SD9.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Also when I got home I noticed a slight scuff area looks like holster wear on the “non slide stop” side as well as an excessive amount of lubricant. Does this scream “used gun” to anyone?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts