1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17,519 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
388 Posts
You have a former British Service version of the Victory model. It was produced in the late summer of 1942, maybe August/September, for Lend-Lease shipment to Britain.

It’s had its originally 5” barrel shortened to what looks just under 4”, but the W of the caliber stamp just before the CTG gives away that the full caliber read 38 S & W CTG, not SPECIAL.

It’s also been plated sometime after the war, likely nickel, and been somewhat neglected so the nickel is flaking off a bit. It used to have a lanyard swivel in the butt.

You might check whether the cylinder has been bored out to fit .38 Special. That happened to a lot of these.

Originally, it would have looked like the attached picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the welcomes everyone. Absalom, thank you so much for the knowledge. It incredible thinking what all this revolver might have been through, even making it across the pond and back. Does anyone know where I could find grips for it? Could I also have some opinions on restoration or just leaving it as is? It still fires but I think I'd like to make it a wall hanger.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
^Absalom covered it quite well. If the fake bone grips in the photo work use them. Other grips, why? Any Square Butt will work or be made to work. If you want a correct Victory, buy one. Trying to bring one back that's been pruned, painted and reamed is a forlorn hope. Or, a money pit or both. Or, you can hang it on the wall.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts