Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dear All,

Have purchased a used S&W recently and would like to ask you question about it 馃檪

Is it possible to see from the fotoes, whether it was shot much?

Thank you!

Registered
What you are looking at is acceptable normal wear The cylinder stop will wear in an angular manner with the rotation of the cylinder . The strike face of the cylinder latch will leave a mark on opening and closing. The primer hits don't look as uniform as i would like to see. I suggest that you check the strain screw in the front of the grip part of the frame and make sure it has not gotten loose. The gun was made to use the moon clips and suggest that this would probably help with more uniform primer strikes. Also use good quality ammo with uniform primer sets .

Registered
Your gun shows a lot of use. Factory rounds misfiring or reloads? I think the bolt is just showing wear. Check the strain screw located near the bottom on the grip frame and make sure it's tight. oops Layne beat me to it, I got called away while typing.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thank you for replies!
All was factory ammo (Magtech, Geco, S&B, not a wide selection available for me unfortunately).

I had tried tightening screw. Does it looks tight enough?

Super Moderator
Welcome to the forum! welcome01

Registered
Please invest in some gunsmithing tools, a small Brownells kit will be an investment worth more than it's weight in gold. I love a well worn used gun. I have buggered a screw or two, plus, right fitting tools just make working on guns easier. Beautiful gun!!

Registered
Thank you for replies! Maybe the uniformity is related to 38 vs 357, which might have harder primers? Or is it also slight off-centerness of some strikes?
All was factory ammo (Magtech, Geco, S&B, not a wide selection available for me unfortunately).

I had tried tightening screw (in fact even damaged it a bit). Does it looks tight enough?
Yep you damaged it a bit . I would find a replacement screw.. Yes it looks light enough

Registered
I opened this thread thinking it was about a .327 Federal pistol - please change the thread title & originating post to clarify for those of us who don't know every model number, OK?

Nice pistol, though - even though its not a caliber I'm particularly interested in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts